Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Broken thermometer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2006, 07:50 PM   #1
OldManK
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Broken thermometer

Hello,
this is my first post and I begin by admitting a combination of clumsiness and stupidity. I broke my floating thermometer in my wort and am wondering if it is drinkable now. Mind you, I did not break the thermometer itself, but rather the outside glass that holds the thermometer and those bee bees. Are those bee bees toxic (like lead or something?) or was there some fluids in there that I don't want to drink with my beer? Bascially do I have to throw out this batch or not?
Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2006, 08:02 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 127 Posts

They are probably lead, however, lead isn't very dissolvable. Just filter them out. If the thermometer is unbroken, then that's not a problem.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 02-06-2006, 08:15 PM   #3
cgravier
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldManK
Hello,
this is my first post and I begin by admitting a combination of clumsiness and stupidity. I broke my floating thermometer in my wort and am wondering if it is drinkable now. Mind you, I did not break the thermometer itself, but rather the outside glass that holds the thermometer and those bee bees. Are those bee bees toxic (like lead or something?) or was there some fluids in there that I don't want to drink with my beer? Bascially do I have to throw out this batch or not?
Thanks.

you could find out if its lead by using the simple formula v=m/d. first measure the v of h20. (ml), weigh the shot(g), place in the water, measure the rise of the water,(subtract the new level of h20 (d1) from the original level (d2)) then solve for d by dividing the mass (in kg) by the V (d1-d2). this will give you the density, then look up a density chart to find the known density of lead.

Old 02-06-2006, 08:45 PM   #4
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 11

or just try to press it flat with a hammer (don't SMACK it, just put pressure on it.)

if it's lead, it'll smoosh.

If it's iron, it won't smoosh.

Also, if it's iron, it will be attracted to a magnet, but lead won't.

We had a HUGE thread about this a few months ago when someone broke their hydrometer in their beer. That person opted to toss the batch, but I think that might have been too extreme.

After all.. any of you anglers out there have any mental problems from biting your lead sinkers for the last 20 years? Lead is bad for you, but it's not like cyanide or mercury. A lead pellet in your beer for a short amount of time won't hurt you.

-walker

Old 02-06-2006, 09:11 PM   #5
Caplan
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker
After all.. any of you anglers out there have any mental problems from biting your lead sinkers for the last 20 years? Lead is bad for you, but it's not like cyanide or mercury. A lead pellet in your beer for a short amount of time won't hurt you.
Plus if you've ever eaten game birds killed by shotgun you'll have had the occasional lead pellet 'pass through' you whole, with your stomach acid doing it's best to dissolve it. If not you've probably been exposed to lead through pollution etc. Not good in high levels (expecially for children or 'mums to be' - but so is alcohol!) but this isn't a high dose. Get it off the bee bees soon as you can, no problem

Old 02-06-2006, 10:37 PM   #6
boo boo
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Plus if you've ever eaten game birds killed by shotgun you'll have had the occasional lead pellet 'pass through' you whole, with your stomach acid doing it's best to dissolve it. If not you've probably been exposed to lead through pollution etc. Not good in high levels (expecially for children or 'mums to be' - but so is alcohol!) but this isn't a high dose. Get it off the bee bees soon as you can, no problem

I indeed have eaten my share and more of game birds shot with lead. Nothing (cough, cough ) wrong with( cough) me. The amount of time you'll be exposed to that is miminual. I doubt it is lead anyway.

Old 02-06-2006, 10:51 PM   #7
Caplan
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo
I indeed have eaten my share and more of game birds shot with lead. Nothing (cough, cough ) wrong with( cough) me. The amount of time you'll be exposed to that is miminual. I doubt it is lead anyway.
You could always try taking the feathers off before you try and eat them to prevent that cough eh?.....

Old 02-06-2006, 11:25 PM   #8
RichBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 67

This happened to me as well but my thermometer completely broke. I dumped the whole batch. Made me sick.
I would be a little concerned about keeping the batch. Are you sure you can get all the glass out of the beer? Broken glass is very hard to see in a liquid. I would say it needs to be filtered through a screen or something. I don't know. Maybe the glass would settle to the bottom and not get sucked up when you rack it. But then again...IMHO

Cheers,
Rich

Old 02-07-2006, 06:49 PM   #9
casebrew
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

If yeast sinks, so does lead and glass. I'd just leave lots of sediment. Small amounts of lead ONCE woun't do you any harm, it is only if on a daily basis that enough builds up in your body to do any harm. Plus the fact that the BB's are glued into a clump probably lessens the exposure even more.

Did you know that Leaded Crystal glassware is 25% lead? It's also used in the monitor/tv screens, and is the major source for the statistics about how much 'metal' gets recycled when you dispose of a computer properly. I suspect that the lead is locked securely into the glass, or we would all be drooling idiots already.... I've always blamed the beer for that, not the carboy...

ETA, Leaded glass is...um...'crystal clear'. Unleaded glass has the greenish tint when thick, like carboys. I dunno about Pyrex, it seems clear....

So far, I've had more experience thinking than I've had brewing....you don't think they are mutually exclusive, do you?

72 batches so far,
48 wine, mostly Loquat, peach, plum, prickly pear
23 beers and ciders
1 sauerkraut
1 Tequila, from a prickly pear wine experiment that didn't work. I call it "Prickly Heat"

Last edited by casebrew; 02-07-2006 at 06:52 PM.

Old 02-07-2006, 09:29 PM   #10
Chairman Cheyco
***DRAMATIZATION***

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by casebrew

Did you know that Leaded Crystal glassware is 25% lead? It's also used in the monitor/tv screens, and is the major source for the statistics about how much 'metal' gets recycled when you dispose of a computer properly. I suspect that the lead is locked securely into the glass, or we would all be drooling idiots already.... I've always blamed the beer for that, not the carboy...
If you drink from leaded crystal you can blame falling down the stairs on lead poisoning! Interesting...

Once the wind has been broken, it cannot be fixed.

Quick Reply