The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > British Ale Yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2006, 04:52 PM   #1
mxyzptlk
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default British Ale Yeast

For my latest batch I am using this yeast.
It seems to be bubbling sporadically... that is it will bubble for extended periods and then just plain stop for extended periods. Is this normal for this yeast? I am used to batches starting out good and then slowing over a period of a week or so. This wasn't doesn't seem to be slowing... it just will stop for awhile and pick up again later.

Should I rack it to a secondary and see what happens? when it bubbles, it is still bubbling pretty good... it's been in the primary for a week now and it started bubbling within 48 hours of pitching the yeast. The first time the bubbling had stopped was the next day after it started.

Another issue is I am planning on re-using this yeast for my next batch (my barleywine), but if this isn't typical behaviour for the strain I may ditch that idea.

Secondary 2: 2006 Barleywine

Secondary 1: New Year's Day

Bottled: Schmohz Contest Brew, Goodwill Towards Man

http://www.geocities.com/danvkooi

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2006, 05:43 PM   #2
DeRoux's Broux

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

i've used it several times and haven't noticed inconsistent activity like that. are temp's steady?

let it sit another day, see if there is any activity in a couple minutes time. if not, rack it. or to be 100% certain, take a SG reading.

Cheers!
DeRoux's Broux

Old 01-08-2006, 05:48 PM   #3
Genghis77

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Assuming the ferment temperature has been stable, seems alright. Placing to secondary should be good at any time

Quick Reply