Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Bright, fresh, hoppy IPA from old beer?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2012, 12:42 AM   #1
Newton
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Bright, fresh, hoppy IPA from old beer?

So I'd like to have a couple of batches of nice IPA this summer, one in June and one in July...but I'm usually way too busy in the summer to do much brewing. So here's what I'm thinking of doing:

1. Brewing and filling (right now when I have the time) 2 kegs (to 4 gallons full each) of a decent IPA base beer...some bittering hops, 2 row, chrystal...maybe some honey malt or something to make things interesting

2. Letting the kegs sit in cold storage for a few months.

3. Brewing a 1 gallon super hoppy batch (extract to save time) and krausening each keg on demand.

This way I think I can have fresh IPA when I want it without doing extended, full equipment brewing sessions when I don't have the time. Anybody try anything like this?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2012, 01:03 AM   #2
eastoak
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 147 Times on 139 Posts
Likes Given: 83

you would be cold storing wort or a fermented beer? sounds like more work than just making the time to brew (4-6hrs?), an extract batch would be quicker and more of a sure thing than rolling out months old wort/beer to freshen up with hops. i wouldn't do this but i'd like to watch it happen.

Old 04-24-2012, 01:18 AM   #3
Newton
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'd be cold storing fermented beer and krausening with fermenting beer. The krausen batch would only be a 10 minute boil and should cool very quick due to the low volume. The 2 4 gallon batches would come from one brew day.

Quick Reply