Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > brewing vs. happy wife - kitchen shared

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2012, 09:59 PM   #21
Brazbrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

BTW, I used to brew inside, it's a mess and clean up is a bear. Unless you can improve your system installing hose barge and high quality valves on everything.. you still drip sticky wort and you still spill water.. at least I do.

I moved into a top floor apartment with a terrace. I brew outside with a view over one of the most populous cities in the world. When it's all done. I break out the hose, broom and squeegee and I'm done in no time.

Cleaning up while you brew is key as well, there is a lot of idle time on brew day, might as well be going to it.

My Gf complains about the gobs of brewing equipment taking up our 700 sq ft apartment, but with the terrace and the floor drains, the kitchen is hers

Moving to Brazil has taken me from Extract to AG, there's no going back now...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 11:01 PM   #22
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 189

"Relax, have a home brew" isn't quite as effective on my girlfriend as it is on me...

I usually catch some heat when I brew when she's around. No way around it. I just clean up as best as I can (I'm a neat freak so I do the cleaning anyway) and justify it with the end result. So far so good

Old 12-08-2012, 12:07 AM   #23
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4356 Times on 3168 Posts
Likes Given: 847

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezydemon3 View Post
AG inside is insane.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazbrew View Post
BTW, I used to brew inside, it's a mess and clean up is a bear. Unless you can improve your system installing hose barge and high quality valves on everything.. you still drip sticky wort and you still spill water.. at least I do.
I brew inside, and always have! It's easy, warm (our climate sucks- I'm 150 miles NORTH of Green bay), and no problem.

Clean as you go, start earlier (mashing is a totally passive time), and it takes 4.5 hours start to finish.

Old 12-08-2012, 09:11 PM   #24
slakwhere
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 9

i used to brew late in the day, and had the same problem. i got tired of chilling/cleaning in the dark, being up late, the local home brew shop being closed if i needed something, etc. i now brew early so i have the rest of the day to do what i want. things that i have found help:

-electric temp control for heat. this lets me set my dough in temps precisely, and i can do other stuff to get ready (assemble MLT false bottom, etc)
-having my hops measured, carboys/fermenters clean, ready to go and full of starsan
-cleaning up the MLT after i finish sparging so i don't have to do it later

i am also building bottom drain vessels which should help with cleanup, since i can easily clean in place (moving keggles sucks)

Old 12-08-2012, 09:45 PM   #25
Gear101
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 187

Spend the money and have a maid come in twice a month to do a bathroom and kitchen cleaning, cost somewhere around 30-40usd.

Islamorada Pale Ale by Island Time Brewery

Stainless is Painless

Old 12-09-2012, 11:08 AM   #26
JiBiru8
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I brew AG inside in a Tokyo apartment with no problems. Cleaning as you go is definitely key as many people have pointed out.

It also probably helps that I care more about cleanliness than my wife, and am also the cook of the two, so she has nothing to complain about!

Old 12-09-2012, 11:16 AM   #27
Obliviousbrew
Recipes 

Liked 227 Times on 158 Posts
Likes Given: 168

I brew inside too and I live in an apartment. Ag electric. I start early around 5PM the yeast is pitched and everything is spotless. My wife is very supportive also, recently she started brewing solo so if I don´t do a perfect job cleaning up she understands. BTW I tried my wife´s first pale ale yesterday and I decided I am not teaching her anymore... that was a terrific beer... she is going to outbrew me soon. Now I´m really inloved.

Old 12-10-2012, 10:19 AM   #28
Brazbrew
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiBiru8 View Post
I brew AG inside in a Tokyo apartment with no problems. Cleaning as you go is definitely key as many people have pointed out.

It also probably helps that I care more about cleanliness than my wife, and am also the cook of the two, so she has nothing to complain about!
I wonder if a Tokyo apartment is as small as one in Sao Paulo You really need an understanding partner when you brew AG in a 400 sq ft apartment

Old 12-12-2012, 07:37 PM   #29
ColinJ
Recipes 

I’m setup to brew out in the shed with gas but bad weather (freezing weather and snow) and the fact the sun sets here at 4:30pm had me doing a brew inside a month ago and now I’m hooked.
I’m limited to 5 gallon but here is how I do it.

I tell the wife I’m cooking dinner that night and the kitchen will be clean by morning. She is now looking forward to these nights. I tend to brew on Thursday or Friday nights because the cleaner comes on Friday morning.

Process
5pm - Get water up to temp while dinner is in the oven. (3.5 to 4 gallon of water)
6pm - Mash in at 154 and set timer for 60 min (I use a 5 gallon cooler)
-Eat dinner
7pm - Start my Sparge (this takes me awhile sometimes 2hr.. but I just use a second smaller pot and slowly add water as it slowly drains)
-Clean primary
8pm - Start my boil (this takes a while.. because of my stove)
-Clean Mash tun
9pm – Start my boil count
10pm – Start my cool down (use a wort chiller and ice bath in kitchen sink)
-Sanitize primary
11pm – Into primary
11:30pm – Pitch Yeast
12:00pm – In bed
I just finished my third batch using this method and was amazed how quick, fun and easy it was.. I had the laptop playing tv shows, I was warm and the wife wasn’t all that annoyed.

Equipment
32oz boil kettle
20oz kettle for sparge water
Strainer for sparge water
5 gallon home depot mash tun
Immersion chiller
Big Steel Spoon
And that it..

Once I get into doing 10 gallon batches I’ll move it back outside but I think I’m going to keep this equipment for fun little 5 gallon winter batches.

Old 12-12-2012, 07:47 PM   #30
ThickHead
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesku View Post
Put your gear on a trolley and use a conical lid on the BK + extraction fan (computer fan in my case). No steam inside the house and, if I'm tired I just push the whole thing in to our quest bedroom to wait for the cleaning. It's insane to brew outside
This kind of an apparatus could potentially serve a dual purpose in my situation. My wife would see this thing as something that would probably bite her if she got too close to it. As she tends to "borrow" (lose, break and mangle) odd brewing accessories as a little hobby of her own, applying this approach could prove quite useful.

Chad

"I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer."

-Abraham Lincoln

Quick Reply