Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > brewing vs. happy wife - kitchen shared

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2012, 11:10 PM   #11
jpc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 45 Posts

I'm lucky... The kitchen, whether for brewing or for cooking, is MY domain. She stays out, unless it's to boil water or something.

In other words, sorry... I can't help you!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2012, 11:18 PM   #12
wilserbrewer
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 421 Times on 357 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezydemon3 View Post
AG inside is insane.
Well, IMHO AG outside is insane when it is cold, windy, wet, hot, humid, dark or any combination of the above! So I guess that is almost most of the time...haha. I brew in my basement year round on a ghetto electric system and have gone as large as a 15 gal batch several times...be neat and organized...my basement is carpet and besides a few drips is no less for wear and tear. Oh a simple fan in the window provides adequate ventilation...sure it smells like a brewery mid boil but the simple fan catches up quickly post boil. FWIW the smell does not really migrate upstairs due to the routing of the venting out the basement window...cheers!

Expert tailor and supplier of custom sized, top quality BIAB bags, hop bags and ratchet pulleys at reasonable pricing

http://biabbags.webs.com

CORONA MILL BUCKET SYSTEM V. 2.0
djt17 Likes This 
Old 11-30-2012, 11:23 PM   #13
Vesku
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Put your gear on a trolley and use a conical lid on the BK + extraction fan (computer fan in my case). No steam inside the house and, if I'm tired I just push the whole thing in to our quest bedroom to wait for the cleaning. It's insane to brew outside

Old 11-30-2012, 11:45 PM   #14
Beerthoven

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Weigh your grains & hops the night before. Look for ways to streamline and multitask: Heat mash-in water while you grind the grains, be ready to mashout and lauter on time, do batch sparges instead of fly, have a good burner that will heat water and boil quickly, clean during the boil, have a fast cool down method, etc. I can knock out an AG brew in 4.5 hours no problem.

Primary/Secondary: #109 Rye, #110 APA

Kegged: #106 American Wheat, #107 IPA, #108 Nut Brown

Planned: Red IPA, American Brown

Old 11-30-2012, 11:54 PM   #15
Croft
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

You are going to have to encourage your wife to find a brew SHE enjoys!... Personally - being the wife that brews - clean as you go and I agree with the guys who said start earlier. I wouldn't want to be cleaning up after midnight either!
Also enlisting the assistance of spouse is another way to go. I conned my husband into helping me process 2 bathtubs full of apples for my/our cider and apart from a bit of grousing he survived. The kids played happily and stole apples and juice when they could. A family event! Good luck with working out your compromises. Tricky territory the kitchen especially if the only time you are in it is to brew!...

Old 12-05-2012, 03:14 AM   #16
Frogmanx82
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 7

The best investment I made was a high pressure burner. You have to use it outside or in a garage though. Fast water heating shaves hours off the process if you're used to a stovetop and it does get you out of the kitchen.

Old 12-06-2012, 03:37 AM   #17
Friedclutch
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 15

+1 on the high output burner in the garage. It heats the garage while brewing. Boils lots of water very quickly.

Most important tip---> SHARE the beer with your wife.

Old 12-06-2012, 03:55 AM   #18
dryboroughbrewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 101 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I say brew outside, but then again, when I brew outside I'm all of 10 feet from my basement. I play a lot of pool and darts while brewing.

Old 12-07-2012, 09:30 PM   #19
pixelhussar
Recipes 

OK then, it seems that I have no excuse to renovate our basement. See you in the diy basement project threads next year.

Thanks for all your comments!

Old 12-07-2012, 09:54 PM   #20
Brazbrew
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerthoven View Post
Weigh your grains & hops the night before. Look for ways to streamline and multitask: Heat mash-in water while you grind the grains, be ready to mashout and lauter on time, do batch sparges instead of fly, have a good burner that will heat water and boil quickly, clean during the boil, have a fast cool down method, etc. I can knock out an AG brew in 4.5 hours no problem.
Wait a minute.. so my new fly sparge set up won't save me time on brew day? I that batch sparging was killing my productivity....

Quick Reply