Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Brewing in T-Minus...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2007, 03:20 PM   #1
Evan!
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Brewing in T-Minus...

Well, last night, I got two starters going: one for a smackpack of Wyeast Bohemian Pils, and one for some harvested PacMan. Both are bubbling this morning. Then, before I left for work today, I filled two pots with 2.75 gallons of spring water each, and weighed out the grain in two other pots. One's a partial (mostly)-mash Imperial IPA, and the other's my first true lager, an AG sorta-Bohemian Pils. I plan on starting as soon as I can get outta the office. TGIF, bitchezzz!

A couple questions:

1) I usually mash in my 32-qt Aluminum kettle. But since I'm doing 2 mashes today, I'm also planning on using the MLT to actually mash in (usually, I mash in something else and transfer to the MLT to sparge). So here's my plan: mash both, then drain the wort from the MLT, sparge, discard spent grain, then transfer the second mash to the MLT and repeat. My question, then, is, is there any problem with mashing in the MLT? I know it's called a "mash-lauter tun" for a reason, but my concern is twofold: it's a 50L stainless MLT with a spigot (with plastic knob), and a pro false bottom that keeps the grain bed roughly 1.5" above the kettle floor. So...during the mash, if I need to add heat to the kettle, I'm concerned that the heat will damage the plastic spigot knob. Secondly, I'm concerned that, since the false bottom keeps the grains from coming into contact with roughly 1.5" of water, that my efficiency will suffer. Is this an issue?

2) I can't find a conversion tool in ProMash that tells me what temp my mash water should be. If I have 10 lbs of grain and 2.75gals of water, what temp should the water be when I add it to the grain, so as to achieve 151f?

Thanks...

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2007, 03:29 PM   #2
Evan!

Recipes 

Sorry...I just found the strike temp calc in ProMash. But the first question still needs replies

.planned:
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 01-19-2007, 03:39 PM   #3
Desert_Sky

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 2

First lager eh? Nice bro....good luck with that. I may do one this year sometime myself.

In promash I always start a new session. then use the water needed tab for strike water temp. Im thinking you need to be somewhere around 166-167. But Im at work so I cant help you that much right now.

*edit....you beat me to it

Old 01-19-2007, 03:47 PM   #4
Orfy
For the love of beer!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Any dead spaces in a system will effect brew house effeciency but I wouldn't worry about it. It will have a tiny effect on the mash because that water at bottom will no be in contact with the mash but I doubt you'd notic anything.

You'll be fine.

Old 01-19-2007, 04:12 PM   #5
Evan!

Recipes 

Cool. I'll just be sure to stir it plenty.

.planned:
.primary | bright:
.on tap | kegged:

Old 01-19-2007, 04:42 PM   #6
zoebisch01

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

whoop whooop whoop.

Brew what you like. Do this, and you will find your inner brewer.

Quick Reply