Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Brewing small batches...using what?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2007, 03:32 AM   #1
Steiner
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Brewing small batches...using what?

I am interested in brewing small batches of several new ideas. I want to stay away from brewing 5 gallons of something I don't know what it should taste like. I'm mainly considering apfelwine, mead, and some more aggressive beers.

I wanted to know what I can use to brew these small batches. I'm talking primary fermenters and secondaries. I know you don't want a lot of head space in the secondaries because of oxidation, yet I've only got plastic 6.5 gal primaries and 5-gal glass carboys. As recommended by a member in another thread the one possibility I can think of is my two 2.25-gal Mr. Beer fermenters. However, being that the Mr Beer fermenters don't have an airlock, would that still be ok? Would there need to be any alterations done? I'd probably refit the spigot so I could use my vinyl tubing, but that's it. Will long-term aging in a plastic fermenter be bad compared to glass?

Let me know. I really want to try some new things and let me know if you've got any interesting "testing" recipes.

EDIT: Here's a link to a Mr. Beer fermenter picture.
http://www.mrbeer.com/product-exec/p...eg_Fermenter_1

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2007, 03:38 AM   #2
BuffaloSabresBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Same exact situation here. (Same last name also) But I plan on fermenting in my usual carboy I see no problem there. I am not quite sure about a secondary vessel.

Single male seeks double-jointed supermodel who owns a brewery and grows her own pot. Access to free concert tickets a plus!

Old 12-06-2007, 03:40 AM   #3
BuffaloSabresBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

I dont what the Mr. Beer keg is made of but if you fitted it with an air lock I dont see a problem. Not sure because I have never used a Mr. Beer kit before so I'm not 100% sure.

Single male seeks double-jointed supermodel who owns a brewery and grows her own pot. Access to free concert tickets a plus!

Old 12-06-2007, 03:42 AM   #4
Poindexter

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I bought five one gallon glasss jugs of apfel juice for my first batch of apfel wine, then I took an empty one to my LHBS and bought five stoppers and five airlocks.

Then I bought five more gallons of apfel juice in one gallon glass jugs...Go ahead and do a five gallon carboy of the apfel wine. You won't regret it.

Old 12-06-2007, 07:40 AM   #5
z987k

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You have to do some R&D, go buy some commercial beer and decide if you like it

Old 12-06-2007, 07:56 AM   #6
BlindLemonLars
Conqueroo Brew
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steiner
As recommended by a member in another thread the one possibility I can think of is my two 2.25-gal Mr. Beer fermenters. However, being that the Mr Beer fermenters don't have an airlock, would that still be ok? Would there need to be any alterations done? I'd probably refit the spigot so I could use my vinyl tubing, but that's it. Will long-term aging in a plastic fermenter be bad compared to glass?
If you're worried about it, 3 gallon glass carboys are readily available from all the major online suppliers.

Honestly, considering all the work involved with ANY size, I'd just go with 5 gallon batches. It's not as much beer as you may think.

Old 12-06-2007, 08:14 AM   #7
SenorWanderer
Beer Maniac

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

i do "taste test" experiments in the 1 gallon jugs. for instance i'll mash 1lb of 2row with a half lb of speciality malt in my 2 gallon MLT and lightly hop, pitch with 1056. now i have a 1 gallon batch of beer that is very heavy in that special malt and now i can teach my palette the flavor of that malt. i have 6 of them. i brew test recipes in 3 gallon batches. i have 4 3 gallon carboys. i haven't brewed a "full size" batch in months.

Old 12-06-2007, 08:35 AM   #8
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty

Recipes 

Liked 207 Times on 113 Posts

i can go through 5 gallons in four days

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Old 12-06-2007, 02:02 PM   #9
killian
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

They were out of 3 gallon carboys last time I called but for $10 its worth the wait. http://www.waterloocontainer.com/index.htm

Old 12-06-2007, 03:02 PM   #10
Chad

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

3-gallon carboys & 1-gallon apple juice jugs have already been mentioned. My LHBS also has 2-gallon food grade buckets with drilled lids. They take the same stoppers & airlocks as the 6.5-gallon buckets. Very handy to have around. I actually have drilled and non-drilled lids for them and sometimes use them for backup grain storage. They're also just about the perfect size if you ferment your own pickles.

Chad

www.chadwrites.com

Quick Reply