Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > brewing small batches

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2008, 01:42 AM   #1
Llama
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default brewing small batches

Hey All-

So, I have an idea for a radical brew, and I don't necessarily want to brew a 5 gallon batch of experimental brew that may not be good. I would like to make one gallon batches.

How should I go about doing this? Should I just formulate a 5 gallon batch in Beer Smith and scale it down to 1 gal?

Thanks for any and all help!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2008, 02:18 AM   #3
Bob
Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Hops cannot be scaled in the same linear fashion as grain and water. There are lots of complicated reasons why this is so, primarily related to boil dynamics. Also note that you'll have to watch boil-off really, really carefully.

I'm afraid I must respectfully disagree with Yooper, tho - you should always pitch the appropriate amount of yeast. That might not mean a full package of yeast. Check the pitching calculator on Mr Malty to determine the proper pitching rate.

Cheers,

Bob

Brewmaster
Fort Christian Brewpub
St Croix, US Virgin Islands

Old 08-24-2008, 02:33 AM   #4
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 610 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 456

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama View Post
Should I just formulate a 5 gallon batch in Beer Smith and scale it down to 1 gal?
Why not just formulate it as a 1 gallon batch to begin with. BeerSmith will handle any amount and do the math for you. I do 2 1/2 to 3 gallon batches and use a full pack of yeast, but (depending on the gravity) that may be a bit much for only one gallon.

Quick Reply