Brewing schedule conflict

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LarryC

Reaction score
Today I have my Better Bottle sitting in my keezer happily fermenting a Wookie Jack clone. I brewed it last Saturday and it is part of my conflict. I want to get another brew started so I have some variety of beer for the holidays. I usually let my beer sit in the primary fermenter for 3 to 4 weeks and then keg or bottle it.

This time, I am thinking I should rack the Wookie over to secondary A) because it will free up the BB which is 6 gallons vs. my other carboy at 5 gallons and B) there is a pretty big dry hop schedule for the Wookie (two 2oz. additions). So here's my question - when would be the best time to rack the Wookie to secondary? Or, should I just go buy a 7 gallon brew bucket and leave the Wookie in primary for the hop additions/4 week ferment?

I my experience listening to Matt talk about brewing the hoppy Firestone walker beers, I know that he would start dry hopping around day 4 of the ferment or after it is about 80% done, finish your dry hop schedule, cold crash and keg you should be able to drink inside of 2 weeks.

The answer is that there is no real answer. You could transfer to secondary now, or wait until right before you need the carboy. Different people like to rack to secondary at different times. I, like you, don't bother with secondaries if I can help it, just a wasted step with risk of oxidation. But since you need the carboy...bottom line, it probably makes minimal or absolutely no difference at all (when you rack it) at this point since the beer is 6 days old and fermentation is probably just about done.

I have another, less elegant suggestion. Go to your LHBS and get an ale pale. Inexpensive, then you have another fermenter when this comes up later... :). One can never have too many fermenters!

I have another, less elegant suggestion. Go to your LHBS and get an ale pale. Inexpensive, then you have another fermenter when this comes up later... :). One can never have too many fermenters!

Don't follow this advice! It's wrong!!!!:rockin:

Go get 3 ale pails. You'll find something to put in them.:D

I leave my fermenter bucket in the cool room (about 62 to 65 degrees) for a week and then move it to a warmer place (about 72 and off the floor) for another week to 8 weeks depending on the beer and my schedule. I could go for even less time because the part of the ferment when the yeast are eating the easy sugars determine the flavor profile. When the bubbling slows down I could move them.

RM-MN said:

I[/QUOTE ]

So my advice was short on quantity.... I see... :)

RM-MN said:

I[/QUOTE ]

So my advice was short on quantity.... I see... :)

Sorry to jump on your post but I've found that it is really nice to be able to have more than one or two brews in fermenters. It gives me the option of brewing more frequently when time is available without feeling I need to rush a beer out so I can have an empty fermenter to use. I can let my beer mature in the fermenter so when I have time to bottle it is ready to drink sooner.:ban:

Don't listen to this jackass!! He's wrong!!

If you have 3 empty ale pails, you'll start looking at them, then you'll start biting your nails. You won't be able to sleep right until there's something inside them. More fermenters just means you'll never have peace of mind until they're full, and once they're full, you need more.

It's a vicious cycle. Stop the madness.

Gabba said:
Don't listen to this jackass!! He's wrong!!

If you have 3 empty ale pails, you'll start looking at them, then you'll start biting your nails. You won't be able to sleep right until there's something inside them. More fermenters just means you'll never have peace of mind until they're full, and once they're full, you need more.

It's a vicious cycle. Stop the madness.

This is the gospel.

Well, unsubscribing from this thread as it has gotten a bit dark, but I like having extra fermenters for just such a situation. I think only once have all of them had a brew in them. One typically sits empty at any given time, and do not feel an overwhelming urge to fill it with something. (If all of them are empty, then that is another story.)
I just never want to put my beer on a human timetable that the yeast don't necessarily have to follow. It is worth $15 ,or whatever, to never rush good beer.
But, to the OP, it is your beer, do what you want. Chances are, it'll be fine.
My .02 and done...

3-4 weeks of primary seems extraordinarily long, unless it's a huge beer (not sure of the specs there). We always also advise on raising temp toward the end of primary to allow the yeast to continue burning through any available fermentables. I recommend getting into secondary if you're going to dry hop AND need to use your fermenter, otherwise, it's a technically unnecessary step and could save you a couple hours and the potential of getting funk in there. There is no right or wrong. On the good side, a secondary will more quickly clear up the finished product.

Back