Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Brewing schedule conflict

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2012, 02:48 PM   #1
LarryC
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Default Brewing schedule conflict

Today I have my Better Bottle sitting in my keezer happily fermenting a Wookie Jack clone. I brewed it last Saturday and it is part of my conflict. I want to get another brew started so I have some variety of beer for the holidays. I usually let my beer sit in the primary fermenter for 3 to 4 weeks and then keg or bottle it.

This time, I am thinking I should rack the Wookie over to secondary A) because it will free up the BB which is 6 gallons vs. my other carboy at 5 gallons and B) there is a pretty big dry hop schedule for the Wookie (two 2oz. additions). So here's my question - when would be the best time to rack the Wookie to secondary? Or, should I just go buy a 7 gallon brew bucket and leave the Wookie in primary for the hop additions/4 week ferment?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2012, 02:59 PM   #2
drawdy10
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I my experience listening to Matt talk about brewing the hoppy Firestone walker beers, I know that he would start dry hopping around day 4 of the ferment or after it is about 80% done, finish your dry hop schedule, cold crash and keg you should be able to drink inside of 2 weeks.

Old 10-19-2012, 07:18 PM   #3
mtbaesl
Recipes 

The answer is that there is no real answer. You could transfer to secondary now, or wait until right before you need the carboy. Different people like to rack to secondary at different times. I, like you, don't bother with secondaries if I can help it, just a wasted step with risk of oxidation. But since you need the carboy...bottom line, it probably makes minimal or absolutely no difference at all (when you rack it) at this point since the beer is 6 days old and fermentation is probably just about done.

Old 10-19-2012, 09:50 PM   #4
cublue
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I have another, less elegant suggestion. Go to your LHBS and get an ale pale. Inexpensive, then you have another fermenter when this comes up later... . One can never have too many fermenters!

Old 10-19-2012, 11:26 PM   #5
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 707 Times on 594 Posts
Likes Given: 221

Quote:
Originally Posted by cublue View Post
I have another, less elegant suggestion. Go to your LHBS and get an ale pale. Inexpensive, then you have another fermenter when this comes up later... . One can never have too many fermenters!
Don't follow this advice! It's wrong!!!!

Go get 3 ale pails. You'll find something to put in them.

I leave my fermenter bucket in the cool room (about 62 to 65 degrees) for a week and then move it to a warmer place (about 72 and off the floor) for another week to 8 weeks depending on the beer and my schedule. I could go for even less time because the part of the ferment when the yeast are eating the easy sugars determine the flavor profile. When the bubbling slows down I could move them.

Old 10-19-2012, 11:51 PM   #6
cublue
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

[QUOTE="RM-MN"]

I[/QUOTE ]

So my advice was short on quantity.... I see...

Old 10-20-2012, 11:27 AM   #7
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 707 Times on 594 Posts
Likes Given: 221

[quote=cublue;4515214]

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM-MN

I[/QUOTE ]

So my advice was short on quantity.... I see...
Sorry to jump on your post but I've found that it is really nice to be able to have more than one or two brews in fermenters. It gives me the option of brewing more frequently when time is available without feeling I need to rush a beer out so I can have an empty fermenter to use. I can let my beer mature in the fermenter so when I have time to bottle it is ready to drink sooner.

Old 10-21-2012, 03:31 AM   #8
Gabba
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM-MN View Post

Don't listen to this jackass!! He's wrong!!

If you have 3 empty ale pails, you'll start looking at them, then you'll start biting your nails. You won't be able to sleep right until there's something inside them. More fermenters just means you'll never have peace of mind until they're full, and once they're full, you need more.

It's a vicious cycle. Stop the madness.

Old 10-21-2012, 03:35 AM   #9
allenH
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2062 Times on 1138 Posts
Likes Given: 990

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabba

Don't listen to this jackass!! He's wrong!!

If you have 3 empty ale pails, you'll start looking at them, then you'll start biting your nails. You won't be able to sleep right until there's something inside them. More fermenters just means you'll never have peace of mind until they're full, and once they're full, you need more.

It's a vicious cycle. Stop the madness.
This is the gospel.

Old 10-21-2012, 11:17 AM   #10
cublue
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Well, unsubscribing from this thread as it has gotten a bit dark, but I like having extra fermenters for just such a situation. I think only once have all of them had a brew in them. One typically sits empty at any given time, and do not feel an overwhelming urge to fill it with something. (If all of them are empty, then that is another story.)
I just never want to put my beer on a human timetable that the yeast don't necessarily have to follow. It is worth $15 ,or whatever, to never rush good beer.
But, to the OP, it is your beer, do what you want. Chances are, it'll be fine.
My .02 and done...

Quick Reply