Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Brewing just-plain-beer beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2008, 03:54 AM   #1
Finn
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Brewing just-plain-beer beer

So I just got done crushing the fixin's for another batch of Wilhoit Springs IPA. It's 8 pounds of Golden Promise, 2 pounds of Crystal 10 and I've been playing around with the rest, in this case three-quarters of a pound each of Victory and Special. I got to thinking ... what does just-plain-beer taste like? Anybody tried just throwing 10 pounds of base malt in the tun and skipping all the special crystals and stuff?

I'm thinking of going with 9 pounds of Maris Otter floor malt and mashing it at 160 just to try and get it nice and thick and malty. Maybe a couple ounces of Goldings to keep it in balance without so much of the grapefruit thing. Whaddaya think?

On tap:Wilhoit Springs Bitter; Mac Cumhaill Breis Tiubh Stout; cider; soda water

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2008, 03:55 AM   #2
RichBrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 93 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 89

I've got a brew going right now that is 100 percent MO. I did tost 2 pounds of it though so we will see how it turns out. I'll let everyone know.

Cheers,
Rich

Old 06-02-2008, 04:08 AM   #3
Redweasel

Recipes 

My latest gravity sample of MO and EKG tastes pretty nice. I'm thinking of doing this more often.

Old 06-02-2008, 01:44 PM   #4
Bob
Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 36

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthre...ighlight=SMaSH

Just search "SMaSH".

Orfy started it all. Check out his thread at:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=45890

It's a luvverly way to brew a fabulous beer and gain some valuable brewing knowledge and skill.

Bob

Brewmaster
Fort Christian Brewpub
St Croix, US Virgin Islands

Old 06-02-2008, 01:59 PM   #5
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1140 Times on 760 Posts
Likes Given: 28

If you keep the gravity relatively low, it's a Blonde ale. You could go all the way up to Barley wine on a single malt too. All brewers should do a smash for their 2nd or 3rd all grain batch just to realize how pleasing a beer can be stripped down. If gives you an appreciation for restraint when you do add specialties.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 06-02-2008, 07:43 PM   #6
Finn
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNQ3X View Post
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthre...ighlight=SMaSH

Just search "SMaSH".

Orfy started it all. Check out his thread at:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=45890

It's a luvverly way to brew a fabulous beer and gain some valuable brewing knowledge and skill.

Bob
Right on! I think I'm going to try it after getting the party started in the carboy with my usual can't-live-without-it house stout. Probably kick it off with 8 pounds of Crisp MO floor malt and three or four ounces of Willamettes (solidarity, bro -- I live in the damn Willamette Valley, after all -- plus, these are basically Fuggles, which is the most neutral good-tasting hop I know) and see what happens. Unfortunately, we've just come into the dry season, so I can't put a barrel under the downspout and brew "Grain alcohol and rainwater." (I don't think Gen. Jack D. Ripper lives around here; he'd die of thirst in the summers.) Maybe this fall!

I noticed my best pale to date was brewed with the simplest recipe ... Jamil's ordinary bitter. It'll be good to see what the basis really is.

cheers!

--Finn
On tap:Wilhoit Springs Bitter; Mac Cumhaill Breis Tiubh Stout; cider; soda water

Old 06-02-2008, 07:56 PM   #7
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 424 Times on 352 Posts
Likes Given: 109

I wouldn't mash at 160°, though - that's a bit high to get any conversion. If you want to do a simple, SMaSH-type recipe, I'd go with a middle-of-the-road 154°.

Simple beer can be great beer. MO and EKG; a match made in heaven.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 06-03-2008, 11:17 PM   #8
Finn
Recipes 

OK I just picked up my grainbill ... 8 pounds of Great Western (domestic American) 2-row, and that's all ... along with 4 oz. of Willamette and a vial of WLP-002 ... also, it rained! About halfway through I set my brewpot under the downspout. So, I'm ready to fix myself a drink with grain alcohol and rainwater. I'll keep you guys posted on how it comes together.

cheers!

--Maj. Gen. Jack D. Ripper, U.S.A., Ret.

EDIT: I plan to mash this at 154, as The Bird suggests. I'm starting with domestic 2-row, just as stripped down as you can get, and when it's done and gone I'll throw a Maris Otter-Kent Goldings brew onto the cake. This should give me a good idea of what the basic brews taste like ...

Reason: additional info

Quick Reply