Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Brewing with Honey - Maximizing Flavour

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2012, 07:52 AM   #11
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 272 Times on 238 Posts
Likes Given: 324

Seriously, I wouldn't worry about sharing your recipe- that's the only way we're going to be able to make proper suggestions. Even if you want to go pro (really? really???) there are hundreds of commercial breweries that are happy to hand out their recipes to homebrewers and pros alike. Nobody wants the recipe to Coke because someone already makes it. I just can't get rich selling Sierra Nevada Pale Ale because someone already brewed that.

Chill out, tell us your recipe, and let HBT help you out.

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2012, 01:22 PM   #12
dcp27
Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 114 Posts
Likes Given: 3

maybe its for obamas next beer

Old 10-06-2012, 01:38 PM   #13
Gixxer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 148

Yea... You need honey malt, at least 5-10% of the grain bill. You can add honey to secondary, and prime with honey. How much to prime with? I use beersmith. Do you? At the minimum use unfiltered uncooked wildflower honey, buckwheat honey would be better. I just sampled a honey ale that had honey malt for 3% of the grain bill and I primed with wildflower honey. The sweet honey aroma is there, but it needs more honey flavor. You can tell its there, just not that prominent. Thats why I say at least 5% maybe 10% for the honey malt. I also might try adding some honey to secondary and see how that works out. So there's some food for thought from my experience. My goal is to keep the honey away from any sort of heat whatsoever. Worried about it mixing up? I stirred my honey (measured by weight first) with maybe a 1/4 cup of boiled and cooled water to thin it out then pour the whole thing in the bottling bucket or secondary whichever.

On Deck Pumpkin Ale 2014, FBS clone, Port oaked amber, Old Rasputin Clone, 15% RIS

Old 10-06-2012, 04:16 PM   #14
Timmyg316
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I guess the reason I wont share it yet is because I want it to be the most it can be. That being said, here is the gist of it.

360g grains (steeped for 20 mins below a boil)
3kg malt extracts (30 min boil)
21g hops (30min boil and 1 min boil)
4k honey (4kg is a test for this particular batch, previous ones have used 2kg - added 11 days after boil)

After boiling you get a specific gravity of 1053, honey is added at 1010 and brew is topped up to 23L.

As for what honey I use. I use honey from a farm in the place I grew up, I want my most important brews to connect somehow to that part of the world. The honey is a wildflower and so it probably is a lot of apple blossoms, squash blossoms (there's a squash farm nearby), clover, dandelions ect.

What I'm thinking is since 4kg of honey is quite a lot (and starting to make the brew expensive) I' try 2kg with some honey malt next attempt.

Old 10-06-2012, 06:36 PM   #15
Gixxer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Try using the Screwy Brewer's site for a bottle carbing calculator. For 2.5 vols in 19L of beer at 70 deg, you could use 143g of honey. Go that from their calculator.

http://www.thescrewybrewer.com/p/bre...mulas.html#bpc

On Deck Pumpkin Ale 2014, FBS clone, Port oaked amber, Old Rasputin Clone, 15% RIS
Timmyg316 Likes This 
Old 10-06-2012, 06:40 PM   #16
Timmyg316
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxer View Post
Try using the Screwy Brewer's site for a bottle carbing calculator. For 2.5 vols in 19L of beer at 70 deg, you could use 143g of honey. Go that from their calculator.

http://www.thescrewybrewer.com/p/bre...mulas.html#bpc
Not bad, I'll definatly be using this in the future! I put in 23L which is my size and got 170g which is what I previously tried and seemed to much for this style. Honey really is a fickle thing to work with... why is it sooo good tho?

Old 10-06-2012, 06:44 PM   #17
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2651 Times on 2070 Posts
Likes Given: 298

4 kg of honey is insane! It's not even beer at that point, more of a graff. And that's going to be around 12% ABV. You should be getting excellent honey flavor from using not more than 1kg of honey and that's still a ton. Honey malt will give some syrupy honey character, but I would play with your source of honey. Top quality orange blossom honey should impart a lot of flavor. I also will prime with 7 ounces of honey to get a boost and it's worked very well.

Old 10-06-2012, 06:48 PM   #18
Timmyg316
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

It is! I don't think once the dust settles on this recipe I will be using that much (unless its really delicious). I think what I might do next is go back to 2kg and test the honey malt. If that doesn't get the desired effect I might...might try 3kg but I'd like to keep the total cost of the brew below $40CAD.

Old 12-27-2012, 06:20 PM   #19
Timmyg316
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I thought I would update the topic since the last batch is complete and I am in the midst of brewing an updated version based on comments.

The final version had some additional success. There was certainly an improvement in flavour in some bottles (a little unsure why it was somewhat inconsistant, maybe its fermenting more in the bottle now. Also, it did carbonate nicely, but I didnt write down and SAVE how much honey I added for brewing. Overall, it was drinkable, but quite strong, and expensive to make.

The current version substitutes 200g of crystal and dextrine malt for the same weight of honey malt. I think this is a good idea to try while going back to 2kg of honey. I am also changing up the yeast to this: http://www.wyeastlab.com/rw_yeaststr...ail.cfm?ID=132 since it has a high attenuation and should reserve more flavor.

Old 12-27-2012, 11:30 PM   #20
Gixxer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

My honey amber beer that I brewed in August has all of the honey flavor conditioned out. Granted I used nowhere near the amount of honey and honey malt as you did, but the flavor and aroma progressed from sweet honey to plain beer after two months. In my notes I am going to use more honey malt, honey in primary after a couple days, prime with honey. Also going to adjust bittering hops so the beer can be drank young, like after two weeks of carbing.

Looking forward to your results, I might give that a go...

Quick Reply