Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > "Brewing Classic Style" by Jamil and John

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2009, 04:13 AM   #11
Doog_Si_Reeb
Beer is Good. And stuff!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I enjoy the book and have been using it for a reference on a lot of my recent brews. I'm down to about 1-2 pints of the IPA and the Saison left. Both of which I will brew again in the future.

I get about 65% efficiency and I brew 5.5 gallon batches. The listed grain bill gets pretty close to the OG for me.

Primary: BohPils3
Kegged: Vienna Lager, Mánagarmr Stout, Ratatoskr IIPA, Cider
Bottled: Yule Gruit

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2009, 05:57 PM   #12
jamilz
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
Boy, a lot of posts in the last few days from jamilz. Assuming he is the real Jamil, and not that Facebook imposter we've heard about, it's good to have him here. I'm wondering if the I Am A Homebrewer video "controversy" made him remember he had an account here?!?!

If it is really you, and not that skunk faced liar, then welcome back. I really enjoy the BN shows oh, and I like the book as well!
Yes, in fact it was the whole video thing that reminded me to try and get back here every so often. I get so busy sometimes I can't seem to keep up with the forums anymore.

I generally use my opossum face when I lie. Makes it easy to tell.

Old 08-14-2009, 07:26 PM   #13
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 234 Times on 180 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamilz View Post
Yes, in fact it was the whole video thing that reminded me to try and get back here every so often. I get so busy sometimes I can't seem to keep up with the forums anymore.

Well, welcome back! It's always good to have another knowledgable person on the board.

I was also going to note that you might want to update your profile as they default to female and noticed yours had the default setting, but I see you have already done some housekeeping in that regard.

Keep the good shows coming on the BN. Not just blowing smoke, I think a lot of people on here get a lot out of them. Now, when's that next book coming out?

Old 08-20-2009, 07:04 PM   #14
humann_brewing
More Humann than human

Recipes 

Liked 313 Times on 311 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamilz View Post

Yeah, welcome back, even though you joined before me I guess I can still say that

I enjoy your Can you brew it series as well, I never found out where we send in the requests for the beers to clone though??? I am the guy that that requested Bert Grants Perfect Porter in the first response to your Moose Drool show. I am now trying to get it down as my house porter and whipping up a 3 gallon test batch this weekend after a lot of research. (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/bert...r-clone-11597/)

Oh yeah, I have your Brewing classic styles book too and enjoy the information.

Old 08-20-2009, 10:10 PM   #15
bakins
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'd like to see all the recipes in promash or beerxml format. Would that be considered infringement? I guess if Jamil said okay I've seen several on the intrawebs.

Old 08-20-2009, 11:01 PM   #16
brewt00l
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakins View Post
I'd like to see all the recipes in promash or beerxml format. Would that be considered infringement? I guess if Jamil said okay I've seen several on the intrawebs.
There's already a slew of JZ's recipes right here:

Jamil's Brewing Network Program Recipes

I've done several and they have all turned out fantastic!

Old 08-21-2009, 04:38 AM   #17
camiller
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
Boy, a lot of posts in the last few days from jamilz. Assuming he is the real Jamil, and not that Facebook imposter we've heard about, it's good to have him here. I'm wondering if the I Am A Homebrewer video "controversy" made him remember he had an account here?!?!

If it is really you, and not that skunk faced liar, then welcome back. I really enjoy the BN shows oh, and I like the book as well!
There was a "controversy"?

Old 08-21-2009, 06:02 PM   #18
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Liked 234 Times on 180 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by camiller View Post
There was a "controversy"?
Well, for some people. In a nutshell, some people liked it, some people didn't, harsh words were spoken, people were called names, insanity reigned. With time the bad feelings will soften and everyone will hold hands and sing Kumbaya!

Old 08-21-2009, 06:54 PM   #19
BeerPressure
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewt00l View Post
There's already a slew of JZ's recipes right here:

Jamil's Brewing Network Program Recipes

I've done several and they have all turned out fantastic!
He also has podcasts up here: The Brewing Network.com - Shows and Podcasts: The Jamil Show

These are great downloads. He gives the recipes from the book and tips to making a great beer. I always listen to the podcast of the particular style before I brew it.

Old 04-04-2010, 11:11 PM   #20
kal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 220 Times on 151 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepystevenson View Post
I am with you Budzu. Percentage is the way to fly.

The percentage of grainbill is one of my only gripes with that book. (percentages are for extract + speciality grains - NOT all grain) Every recipe I have done out of it has been great, though!

What I do, is add up the total grain weight, using the all grain option, then recalculate the percentages of total grain bill for all grain, and write them in beside the extract percentages in the book. Makes it easy for me to scale it any which way in beersmith, and for future reference.
That's exactly what I do as well. Excellent book. My only gripe is this extra step I need to do as I all-grain brew.

Kal

Quick Reply