Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Brewing after work

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2007, 04:04 AM   #1
jezter6
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Brewing after work

So I wanted to brew after work last night, and I didn't get time. Between putting my new mash tun together and going to the brewstore, I didn't get home till 7:30pm and didn't think I'd get done until midnight. Glad I didn't.

I got home around 6pm, changed and checked my personal email and such, didn't start heating mash water till 6:45pm. Ordered a pizza because my friend was coming over to watch me brew (and taste some samples from previous batches), didn't get mashing until about 7:20.

Here it is MIDNIGHT and I just got done pitching yeast and washing up the kettle and the siphon and such. My kitchen is STILL a mess, I have to go to work tomorrow.

Damn, I thought this was gonna be easy. Almost 5.5 hours to do an AG batch from water heating time to cleanup.

Should have just done a 10 gallon batch, would have taken the same amount of time as my 3.75 gallon batch.

On a good note, brewsmith is set up for 70% efficiency...and I went over. I don't know how much over, but for a hobbled together cooler and toilet hose braid...I don't think I did to darn bad. This was my first attempt at brewing alone (usually I have my brew partner handy to do 50% of the work...this time I had a newbie who asked questions and drank my beer.

Note to self: If you're gonna brew after work...start heating mash water DIRECTLY upon entering the house.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2007, 04:07 AM   #2
Glibbidy

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

4 hours is wicked fast, 5 hours.....is the norm.

Old 03-02-2007, 05:29 AM   #3
azmtnbiker

Recipes 

Sounds like the norm for me. Every time I have all day to brew it takes me less time then if I need to be done at a certain time.
I have just begun doing 10gal batches and it does not take much longer. For me it is worth the extra few minutes for a double batch.

Old 03-02-2007, 12:37 PM   #4
jezter6
Recipes 

4 hours is darn fast, but my brain cannot comprehend 2 things when I'm planning time calculations - Mash water heatup (pre-heat the tun, heat mash in, heat sparge water), and time to bring wort to a boil.

For some reason my brain says - 1 hour in the mash, 1 hour boil, 1 hour misc (getting ingredients ready, cleaning up afterward) - I could be done in under 3 hours if I push it. But it never works out that way.

One thing that really killed me was cooling time. Normally if I brew outside with the kettle and fryer I can use my CFC. But since I was just using my big 8 gal stove pot without a spigot, I had to ice bath it. About an hour to cool from boil to pitch...that KILLED my time.

I need to find a better way to cool doing indoor brews. 20# of ice in the sink with some water just don't cut it.

Not to mention (I forgot this last night) that since I was going right into a carboy for primary, I used my grain steeping bag as a filter since my typical collander was too big. As the wort drained, the bag started filling up faster than it could leak out, but I was watching to make sure it didn't fill up and out the top of the carboy. Then I hear the "kaplunk" as I watch my grain bag nearly full of wort drop into the carboy.

I said 'screw it' and pitched yeast and left the thing in there. It was sanitized. We'll see if it works.

Old 03-02-2007, 01:58 PM   #5
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

If your tun is a cooler or something you can insulate well, try mashing one evening (or just before going to work) and brewing the next.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 03-02-2007, 02:06 PM   #6
delboy

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

5.5 hrs! I take my hat off to you i cant get near that time im around the 7 mark but slowly chipping away at it.

Old 03-02-2007, 02:15 PM   #7
cweston

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Yup: I usually try to have 6 hours form when the first piece of gear comes out to when the last thing gets washed. It generally takes a little less than that, but that's the amount of time I like to allow.

I've arranged brew days before where I drive a kid somewhere during the mash, pick one up somewhere else during the first 30 minutes of the boil, etc. But that is *so* stressful it's really not worth it.

Primary: none
Secondary:
Bottle conditioning: Robust Porter
Drinking: Saison Dupont clone, tripel
Coming soon: Columbus APA, Rich Red ale

Old 03-02-2007, 02:46 PM   #8
chillHayze

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42
If your tun is a cooler or something you can insulate well, try mashing one evening (or just before going to work) and brewing the next.
I've thought about this.

Any dangers with "overmashing". Yeah I made that word up.

Old 03-02-2007, 03:28 PM   #9
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

Actually, it is a good idea when doing an over-night mash to do the mash-out before retiring. That way the enzymes are de-natured and you won't end up with a very fermentable, lower body wort. Of course, if you want high fermentability, you're set.

Doing the mash-out also keeps the tun hotter.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 03-02-2007, 03:33 PM   #10
jezter6
Recipes 

What about sparging it all and putting it into a sealed, sterilized bucket overnight to brew 24 hours later.

Quick Reply