Bout to give up on my Minibrew gasket / airlock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Beere

Deep Six Brewing Co.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Bought a used Minibrew 8 gallon fermenter and am half way through my second batch with it. It came with a "new" silicone gasket as I don't think the previous owner ever used it. Well, I did and haven't had a lick of bubbling in my airlock for either batch. I had a strong starter for each batch as well as aerated the wort for 45 mins before pitching.

From Minibrew's website:

"We have advocated for many years that this is not necessary. The CO2 builds up inside forming a blanket of gas that protects the ferment. Bacteria will not penetrate this blanket of CO2 gas."

I was quite nervous on the first batch but checked the SG and it had gone from 1.055 to 1.025 in two days so I just left her alone. Fairly simliar results on the second batch so far.

So I obviously don't have an airtight fit on the gasket but no harm seems to have come to either batch so far. The lid on the Minibrew fits really snug without the gasket - so to the point of this rant - I think I'm just gonna give up on the airlock, plug the hole, and trust the manufacturer.

Any advice? Bad idea?

I guess I didn't mention the real reason - regardless of bubbling, it is a real bear getting that thing on... I fought with it for some time just to figure it out. Plus it takes two peopleto stretch it out and get it in place.

Back