Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Bourbon in my beer?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2010, 01:51 AM   #1
wood173
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Bourbon in my beer?

I just finished brewing a bourbon barrell ale and I have the oak cubes soaking in some Maker's Mark. I looked around the forums and saw that some people weight their cubes in a bag and some just float them in the secondary. I also found that some people only put in the oak and others dump the bourbon in too. I would like to see what the consensus is.

Am I better off weighting down the oak chips or floating them, and should the bourbon go in too?

It is going to age for about a year, so smoothness should not be an issue.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2010, 03:30 AM   #2
matt415
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

when i made mine i put the chips in a glass and filled it with bourbon and let it sit for a few days. then i dumped them both into the secondary. this method allows you to sanitize the chips and presoak the wood so it wont float(as much).

Old 01-11-2010, 03:31 AM   #3
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I've never weighed them down and my bourbon beers always come out great.

I also don't like to pour the bourbon directly into the beer. I usually soak the oak chips in bourbon for 2 weeks and then drain the whisky back into the bottle. I then dry the chips and dump them into the beer. I alway have great whiskey flavor, but not over the top. My oak flavor gets a lot better as I progress while using the same whiskey over and over.

Unless you REALLY love bourbon, I don't suggest pouring it in. Everytime I've had a brew when this is done, it's way too much.

Another HERMS rig...

Old 01-11-2010, 12:45 PM   #4
BA_from_GA
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Depends on how much you like MakersMark. In a 5.5 gal batch of vanilla bourbon porter that i aged 6 months before drinking i put about 2 cups of makers and 4 vanilla beans.

I think its just about perfect. Subtle vanilla aroma, and a good bourbon bite(?) in the finish. My SWMBO says it's too much bourbon. Some folks who've never had it would say that 4 vanilla beans is an insanely overpowering quantity.

Bottom line, it's your beer, you can taste samples and adjust as you go to get what you want!!

brewing lots, rather not keep it all updated here

inhbc.org

Old 01-11-2010, 04:17 PM   #5
jaxn
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt415 View Post
when i made mine i put the chips in a glass and filled it with bourbon and let it sit for a few days. then i dumped them both into the secondary. this method allows you to sanitize the chips and presoak the wood so it wont float(as much).
This is what I did too. I used a pint of Makers. After 6 weeks in secondary, I still have a strong oak flavor but hardly any noticeable bourbon. Next time I do this I will use only 1 oz of medium toast American cubes and 1 quart of bourbon.

But I really, really like bourbon.

Old 01-11-2010, 11:25 PM   #6
wood173
Recipes 

I really like bourbon as well. Probably too much. So I will more than likely dump it all in. I am only using about a pint too, so now I am wondering if I should add a bit more. I suppose I can taste it after a few months in the secondary and add a bit more before bottling.

Old 01-12-2010, 12:23 AM   #7
lunchbox
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

So if I wanted a bourbon taste, but not too overwhelming, would it be a good idea to soak for a week or so, then instead of drying them I' would just put them in the carboy wet?

Old 01-12-2010, 12:27 AM   #8
dirtsurfer
Recipes 

I actually used some brandy to soak some chips in one brew and turned out nice and mellow....

Old 01-13-2010, 02:37 AM   #9
bhatchable
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I made a porter with jack daniels and oak chips. dumped it all in. once it aged a bit, absolutely perfect.

Old 01-13-2010, 12:57 PM   #10
lunchbox
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoodbrews View Post
I made a porter with jack daniels and oak chips. dumped it all in. once it aged a bit, absolutely perfect.
What quantities of oak chips and jack did you put in?

Quick Reply