New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Bottling a Oud Bruin

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2013, 01:46 PM   #1
zionRDbrewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Bottling a Oud Bruin

I have an Oud Bruin that is ready to be bottled. Is the process any different then bottling an ale( I batch prime with corn sugar)?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 02:09 PM   #2
microbusbrewery

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Seems like a lot of people tend to re-yeast them. If you re-yeast it, it will carb up a little faster than if you don't. Some will re-yeast with a wine or champagne yeast because they're more acid tolerant. With my Flanders Red I found I needed to add a little more sugar than the priming calculators indicated in order to get the carbonation level I wanted. I believe this is because some of the sugar is consumed by non-CO2 producing bugs.

Old 01-15-2013, 10:52 PM   #3
zionRDbrewing
Recipes 

Thanks that's what I needed to know

Old 01-16-2013, 04:07 PM   #4
slarkin712

Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by microbusbrewery View Post
With my Flanders Red I found I needed to add a little more sugar than the priming calculators indicated in order to get the carbonation level I wanted. I believe this is because some of the sugar is consumed by non-CO2 producing bugs.
I'm not sure this is the case. I think what happens is that the beer sits in the fermentor for so long that a lot of the residual CO2 comes out of solution. This would be true of any style, wild or not. If you made a barleywine and let it sit in the fermentor for a year much of the CO2 with come out of solution. What you can do is add a little boiled sugar water to the fermentor 3-7 days before bottling. The yeast will eat this sugar and put more CO2 into solution. Wait until all the sugar has been consumed and then bottle. That way the priming sugar calculation will be the same as if you had brewed an ale that sat in the fermentor for a few weeks.

Old 01-16-2013, 09:27 PM   #5
microbusbrewery

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by slarkin712

I'm not sure this is the case. I think what happens is that the beer sits in the fermentor for so long that a lot of the residual CO2 comes out of solution. This would be true of any style, wild or not. If you made a barleywine and let it sit in the fermentor for a year much of the CO2 with come out of solution. What you can do is add a little boiled sugar water to the fermentor 3-7 days before bottling. The yeast will eat this sugar and put more CO2 into solution. Wait until all the sugar has been consumed and then bottle. That way the priming sugar calculation will be the same as if you had brewed an ale that sat in the fermentor for a few weeks.
Good point, it probably is more of an issue of lack of CO2 in solution than bugs stealing the sugar. However, I don't see the point of dosing it with sugar twice (pre-priming and priming) rather than just increasing your priming sugar. Have you tried it both ways? Maybe it's more consistent dosing it twice?

Old 01-16-2013, 09:47 PM   #6
slarkin712

Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by microbusbrewery View Post
Good point, it probably is more of an issue of lack of CO2 in solution than bugs stealing the sugar. However, I don't see the point of dosing it with sugar twice (pre-priming and priming) rather than just increasing your priming sugar. Have you tried it both ways? Maybe it's more consistent dosing it twice?
The thought is that it is just more consistent dosing twice. If you didn't do a first dose you wouldn't know with much accuracy how much CO2 is left in solution. After the first dosing ferments out you would know that, at whatever temp, you should have a certain amount of CO2 in solution. Then your priming sugar calculation is more reliable.

Quick Reply