Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > bottling to kegging then back to bottling?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2012, 01:55 AM   #1
InityBrew
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 230 Times on 158 Posts
Likes Given: 65

So, I started kegging in January of this year and it has been great.. BUT...

I just recently refridgerated and consumed several of my first all grain beers that I brewed in late 2011, and they were delightful! So complex and so much better than I first remembered them... (2 were IIPAs and one was a pale ale.)

I feel like I am cheating myself out of the extra conditioning time since I now primary for 4 weeks and then go straight to the keg.

My kegged beers are great, but these bottle conditioned brews seem more complex. Should I be aging my beers longer than a month...?

Also, does anyone who moved to kegging still bottle condition these styles of beers?

Haus Of Kane

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2012, 02:12 AM   #2
CompassBrewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I moved to kegging but still bottle anything that needs to age such as my whiskey barrel porter and barley wine. No sense in tying up my kegs for 9+ months imo

Old 08-09-2012, 04:05 AM   #3
mdpolakow
Recipes 

I will usually bottle a portion of my, usually the last couple of gallons. I brew mostly seasonal beers and with three taps for the wife and i we just don't get through it. Bottling some of it makes it mobile, opens up a keg for the next batch, and allows us to age out what we think might be worth it.

Old 08-09-2012, 03:35 PM   #4
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 824 Times on 683 Posts
Likes Given: 297

Some brews are really ready to drink in 3 weeks while others need 3 months and a few might need 3 years. How should I make a blanket recommendation on how long to condition your beer when you don't say what kind it is?

Old 08-09-2012, 04:17 PM   #5
RBelanger
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Im in the same boat as you...I typically brew 10 gal batches and have a 2 keg kegerator. What I've been doing lately is kegging one carboy and bottling the other. That way I'll always have 2 different brews on tap and ability to let them age if needed. But there's always those bews that should just be bottled and forgotten about for a long time.

Old 08-10-2012, 02:23 AM   #6
InityBrew
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 230 Times on 158 Posts
Likes Given: 65

MD,

That's what I just started doing.. ill drink off of the taps, and then bottle 2 the remaining 2 or so gallons to make room for the next keg.

I however just purchased a 3rd keg so I think I will now do a 3-4 week primary followed by 1-2 weeks in the keg at 60ish before going into the kegorator.

Haus Of Kane

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS