Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Bottling carbonation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2011, 02:16 PM   #21
Sonnie
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malticulous
The sugar can fall to the bottom of the bottling bucket. I recommend stirring it well with out any splashing. Did you?

More headspace will lower the carbonation as more CO2 will end up in there and not in the beer.
I stirred but probably not evenly enough.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2011, 06:04 PM   #22
Sonnie
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by benderbeerman
My first post

I've only brewed about a dozen batches, but I always found carbing in bottles to be good after about a week. If you didn't stir your priming sugar in good enough (without aerating), inconsistencies can happen. Also, leaving uneven amounts of headspace in the bottles can cause that. If u use a bottle filling wand, that'll help u get even amounts of headspace across all your bottles. one last thing is that keeping your bottles in an area that doesn't change temp is really important. U want temps as consistent as possible. Good luck on your next batch, and drink all them overcarbed beers before they pop!
Even though some are flat they're still delicious! Ive just put a disclaimer out there to whoever wants to try them.... Open it over the sink.... But I think you've got it with not mixing enough...

Old 11-26-2011, 06:06 PM   #23
Sonnie
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewham
Hmm. Reading your post - all the tall bottles are OK and the stubbies are flat. That tells me it was not inadequate mixing of the bottling sugar. I'll bet the stubbies had a slightly different cap size or did not fit into your capper as well. A poor seal on the cap results in flat beer. Possible?
Definitely a possibility but when bottled all the caps felt the same so I don't know if that's the exact issue. I tipped every few during the process to check for leaky seals and didn't find any...

Old 11-26-2011, 06:06 PM   #24
Sonnie
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionrdr
I never had trouble with the Sierra Nevada stubbies. I wonder which one's the OP used?
Redhook's.

Quick Reply