Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Bottling bigger beers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2009, 06:49 AM   #1
chemicalcraig
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Bottling bigger beers

I brewed an imperial brown ale that kind of toes the line with a barleywine. Primary fermentation is done and it's sitting in the secondary. It started at 1.086 and got down to 1.017 giving 8.9% ABV and 80% AA. I used 2 packets of safale us05. My question is this: since I racked to a secondary and given the higher alcohol content and attenuation of this beer, do I need to pitch some yeast into the bottling bucket when it gets bottled? My thinking is that whatever little yeast made it to the secondary is probably stressed from working so hard and nearly dead from the toxic effects of alcohol on yeast.
What have people done with their barleywines?

Primary: Imperial IPA, American Brown, Amber, Old Ale, American Stout

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2009, 07:50 AM   #2
Benjibbad
Recipes 

Nope you will be fine S-05 has a tolerance of about 12%. Unless you are aging this things for 6+ months I would not worry about adding more yeast you still have plenty suspended. How long ago did you transfer to seconday? How long was it in primary? 80% attenuation is pretty good. You should be fine to just prime and bottle.

Primary 1: Cedrella Vanilla Porter
Primary 2: Empty
Primary 3: Empty
Primary 4: Coastal Red
Primary 5: Empty
Secondary 1: Empty
Secondary 2: empty
Secondary 3: empty
Keg1: Cherry Lambic
Keg2: A-10 IIPA
Keg3: Crazy Cuban Monk (Cedrella infused Tripel)
Keg4: Kolsch weisen hybrid

Old 11-03-2009, 10:03 AM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Plus you used 2 packets of yeast so there is plenty there. The only time you really need to be concerned about that is if you bulk aged the beer for a year in secondary....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-03-2009, 01:46 PM   #4
Pimp Juice
Recipes 

what they said. I had a wee heavy that started at 1.110 and finished at 1.020. Aged it on oak for 4 months. Had concerns that it would not carbonate. Came out great. It probley took a little longer but its not like it hurts to wait on something like this (2 months compared to the 4 weeks).

to realize this
and most often
when you do
it's too late
and there's nothing worse
than
too late.
-Bukowski

Old 11-03-2009, 05:35 PM   #5
chemicalcraig
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Thanks for the replies everyone. You put my mind at ease. It was only in the primary for 8 days and has been in the secondary for 4 days. I'll probably give it another 2 wks or so before bottling. I knew the us05 was a workhorse, but didn't know it was that hearty. Thanks again everyone.

Primary: Imperial IPA, American Brown, Amber, Old Ale, American Stout

Quick Reply