Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Bottles aren't carbing!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2012, 12:53 AM   #1
Grantman1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Default Bottles aren't carbing!

I brewed an amber a while back and pitched US-05. It finished out at 1.020 for some reason that I haven't figured out yet, given that I mashed at 154*.

Now, it's been in the bottles for about a month now with no noticeable carbonation other than what was left from fermentation.

This has never happened to me before, so I'm wondering what kind of action to take, if any.

Should I carefully empty the bottles into the bottling bucket and pitch yeast? Any Ideas?

Also- For what it's worth, I had reused the yeast from this batch into an IPA and it fermented like gangbusters, so it doesn't seem like there's anything wrong with the yeast as far as I can tell.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2012, 06:25 AM   #2
Dirty25
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I had a belguim quad style ale that never carbed up for me one time. I popped all the tops and pitched a small amount of champagne yeast into the bottles and recaped them. It took a week and they were carbed perfectly. I know its a lot of work but it could save your batch.

Old 09-29-2012, 06:38 AM   #3
drawdy10
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Just wait it out. If you put sugar in there they will carb. Find a warmer spot in your house to set them for a few weeks. The yeast will act quicker at height temps. I have had a batch take three months to carb and it became a delicious beer. I think the slower carbing is better. If you are that it carbs in a week or two then you are probably headed for over carbonation in the long run if you store them warm.
RDWHAHB

Old 10-01-2012, 12:24 PM   #4
g-star
Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty25 View Post
I had a belguim quad style ale that never carbed up for me one time.
This happened to me one time with my England Pale Ale.

Old 10-01-2012, 12:35 PM   #5
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 462 Times on 429 Posts
Likes Given: 209

What was the OG? What temperature do you have the bottles sitting at? Did you check to be sure the caps are firmly seated? How much priming sugar did you use? 70F for 3 weeks is the minimum amount of time recommended and many times a beer will take longer so give it more time.

Do Not pour out the bottles to remix, you will oxidize the beer and that would be bad, very, very bad

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 10-01-2012, 02:35 PM   #6
badhabit
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts

Had the same thing happen to me once, interestingly enough with an Amber. It took several months....don't remember exactly but it eventually carbed. The only thing that I could ever think was that I let the bottled brew get too cool too soon and I put most of the yeast to sleep. I ended up shaking the bottles up after a month or so and then just letting them sit again.

Old 10-01-2012, 02:51 PM   #7
Grantman1
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by duboman View Post
What was the OG? What temperature do you have the bottles sitting at? Did you check to be sure the caps are firmly seated? How much priming sugar did you use? 70F for 3 weeks is the minimum amount of time recommended and many times a beer will take longer so give it more time.

Do Not pour out the bottles to remix, you will oxidize the beer and that would be bad, very, very bad

The OG was 1.052. The caps are firmly on - there's hiss when I cracked the ones I've sampled. I weighed out the priming sugar based on a calculation that would give me about 2.7 volumes of CO2. They're currently sitting at room temp, which fluctuates between about 70 and 74, depending on the weather each day.

My guess is that they'll carb up eventually. Good news is that based on the taste of this batch, I think I've nailed my amber recipe to exactly what I want.

Old 10-01-2012, 03:24 PM   #8
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 462 Times on 429 Posts
Likes Given: 209

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grantman1

The OG was 1.052. The caps are firmly on - there's hiss when I cracked the ones I've sampled. I weighed out the priming sugar based on a calculation that would give me about 2.7 volumes of CO2. They're currently sitting at room temp, which fluctuates between about 70 and 74, depending on the weather each day.

My guess is that they'll carb up eventually. Good news is that based on the taste of this batch, I think I've nailed my amber recipe to exactly what I want.
If there is a hiss than they are carbonating and just need more time

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Quick Reply