Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Bottle labels off...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2005, 04:33 PM   #1
beersy49
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Bottle labels off...

Back to brewing after a 10 year hiatus. My question, is there a quick and dirty way to get the commercial labels off the bottles I plan to bottle with. In the past I would soak them in hot water in the tub and scrub them off. Is there any additive I can add to the hot water to make this process easier? Vinegar? Ammonia? Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2005, 05:17 PM   #2
smorris
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have found that ammonia or bleach work pretty well with hot water. Not at the same time of course.

Old 01-04-2005, 12:58 PM   #3
Brewman
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I soak in really hot water with liquid soap for about 15-20 minutes in the sink, peal the lable off and use a stiff brush or scrub pad for the glue....... then brush the inside. Now the bottles have no lables or sludge on the bottom.

Old 01-04-2005, 05:19 PM   #4
beersy49
Recipes 

Default Labels

Thanks for the ideas. It always has been my least favorite part of brewing...

Old 01-04-2005, 06:27 PM   #5
Brewman
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Also....... after you use and drink the beer, rinse it quickly to empty the remaining beer out and save it....... that keeps the mold from gowing and is really easy to clean for the next use.

Old 01-04-2005, 09:38 PM   #6
torpshootr

Recipes 

Add some common household ammonia to water and soak your bottles overnight. In the morning you'll find many of the labels have come off already and the rest come off very easily. Its the best method I've found.

Old 01-04-2005, 09:43 PM   #7
Janx

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts

I would avoid using soap or else rinse the hell out of them. I can't see how soap would help get the glue off, and if any residue remains, you won't be able to retain a head on your beer.

I'd go scrounge up some Corny kegs and then recycle the bottles

Janx

Old 01-05-2005, 12:56 PM   #8
arachnyd

Recipes 

Default try washing soda

Some of those really hard-to-remove labels respond well to a soaking in a solution of washing soda. You will have to wash the bottles after to get rid of the soda, which does not rinse off easily.

Old 01-06-2005, 02:53 PM   #9
schlach

Recipes 

Default Washing soda worked like a charm for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by arachnyd
Some of those really hard-to-remove labels respond well to a soaking in a solution of washing soda. You will have to wash the bottles after to get rid of the soda, which does not rinse off easily.
Just washed my first batch of ~50 last night in preparation for my first bottling today. Washing soda + soak for a few hours worked great, even for Sam Adams (~25 of those 50), which I understand are fairly difficult to take off. Most of the other labels just sloughed off in the water. A stiff-wire bottle-brush works great for the glue.

Now, the getting rid of the soda part kinda worries me. I'm planning a trip through the dishwasher with a sanitizing steam bath following that. Anyone have any advice on using the dishwasher for bottles?

Old 01-06-2005, 03:06 PM   #10
pilkinga
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I use the dishwasher when sanitizing my bottles. However, first I dunk and shake the bottles around in a sanitizing solution in my bottling bucket, then I put them directly into the dishwasher. Of course don't use any dishwasher soap and run through a normal cycle. It is my belief that the dishwasher gets hot enough to sanitize and kill any unwanted bacteria. When I go to bottle I do it right over the door of the dishwasher, so that any beer that I happen to spill stays right in the door. When it comes time to clean up I just close the dishwasher and all spills dissappear into the dishwasher. I've done it this way since I started and I have yet to have any problems with unsanitized bottles ever.

Quick Reply