Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > bottle conditioning weizen bock with lager yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2009, 03:43 PM   #1
michaelcalvin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default bottle conditioning weizen bock with lager yeast

I have a weizen bock sitting in the primary fermenter (sg = 1070). The yeast I used was white labs Heff IV (wlp 380 i think). I was thinking that I would put this into secondary for a few days, then cool it down and use gelatin or something to drop as much yeast out as possible. Then when I bottle it, I would put a little lager yeast in as well as corn sugar to bottle condition. I thought the lager yeast would be good because they might give the beer a bit more of the lager feel for the bock aspect and probably not acculate to such a large amount in the bottle. Is this a sound idea?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2009, 03:51 PM   #2
Edcculus
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 37 Posts

WLP 380 is an ale yeast. You didn't make a bock. You need to use lager yeast and ferment at lower temperatures for the beer to be a lager. Using a lager strain to bottle will not significantly change the flavor of the beer. This is actually the reason why some breweries filter then bottle with a lager strain.

EDIT: underlined smaller text is wrong. I'm keeping it so this post makes sense, but pointing it out so mis-information isn't spread.

Old 03-11-2009, 06:25 PM   #3
michaelcalvin
Recipes 

style technicalities aside, my question is: if I use gelatin or pvpp or whatever to drop the ale yeast out of my beer in secondary, and then add lager yeast before bottling, is this a good idea? Am i just going to end up with way to much yeast, both ale and lager, or am I going to get a nice small amount of lager yeast that I can cold condition my bottles with. Also, I do believe Rougue uses an ale yeast to make Dead Guy, which they call a Maibock.

Old 03-12-2009, 01:42 AM   #4
Edcculus
Recipes 

I think it would be a lot easier to bottle condition using the existing yeast. I'm almost positive that the reason some breweries bottle with lager yeast is that its more stable for long term aging.

Old 03-12-2009, 02:06 PM   #5
Malticulous
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Weizenbock is an ale. Bock simply means it's over 1.066 OG. Germans never use wheat in a lager. Traditionally it's served cloudy, "mit hefe." I would not use a secondary with one.

You can add a gram or two of any dry yeast. It will carb faster and the flavor will not be noticeably changed.

Old 03-13-2009, 12:20 AM   #6
Edcculus
Recipes 

I retract my prior statement (about the style). I saw "bock" and assumed lager. I forgot Weizenbock is just a strong wheat ale. I still say there is no real need to condition with different yeast.

Quick Reply