Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Boilover is an evil demon

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2012, 02:29 PM   #11
ScubaSteve
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Yeah, it's scary. That's why fermcap gets my vote for the best $5 you'll ever spend in homebrewing.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 02:37 PM   #12
HopsMan
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrodm
OK fine.

Here's what I assume happened then: the gnomes are clearly out to catch your bear. But they know that the bear isn't likely to just walk up and let them grab it. They know they can steal the bear from your carboy, but we've been on to that for some time (see DrunkleJohn's post). What not everyone knows, however, is that bears are strongly attracted to the scent of carmelized malt, particularly on the top of a hot stove. For this reason, the gnomes will often turn up the temp on your BK when you're not looking. The kettle boils over, the bear comes sniffing around, and the gnome grabs it.

As confirmation, let me ask you this: on those occasions when you do have a boil over, how many times have you had trouble finding a bear for your fermenter afterwards? If you're anything like me, it's very difficult to find a bear on those days, and I'm pretty sure the reason is that the gnomes have already stolen the bear, by luring it in with the admittedly heavenly scent of burning wort.

Case closed.
This right here...is awesome.

Old 12-11-2012, 02:51 PM   #13
RmikeVT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve View Post
Yeah, it's scary. That's why fermcap gets my vote for the best $5 you'll ever spend in homebrewing.
+1

I bought some at my LHBS for $3.75, I filled a 7.5 gallon pot up with about 1/4" to spare at the top and no boil over. It was amazing, I didn't even have to watch the pot, I just went inside and let it do its thing until I needed late hop additions and wirfloc.

Old 12-11-2012, 02:59 PM   #14
cheezydemon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1649 Times on 1240 Posts
Likes Given: 3007

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrodm View Post
OK fine.

Here's what I assume happened then: the gnomes are clearly out to catch your bear. But they know that the bear isn't likely to just walk up and let them grab it. They know they can steal the bear from your carboy, but we've been on to that for some time (see DrunkleJohn's post). What not everyone knows, however, is that bears are strongly attracted to the scent of carmelized malt, particularly on the top of a hot stove. For this reason, the gnomes will often turn up the temp on your BK when you're not looking. The kettle boils over, the bear comes sniffing around, and the gnome grabs it.

As confirmation, let me ask you this: on those occasions when you do have a boil over, how many times have you had trouble finding a bear for your fermenter afterwards? If you're anything like me, it's very difficult to find a bear on those days, and I'm pretty sure the reason is that the gnomes have already stolen the bear, by luring it in with the admittedly heavenly scent of burning wort.

Case closed.
You are supposed to use a fresh bear each time????

*facepalm*

No wonder my bear is nearly comatose and my beers are all tasting like stale gym socks.

He has been in that carboy for 15 batches........

I've been chasing off bears!!!!!!

I' m such a fool......

Old 12-11-2012, 03:06 PM   #15
jerrodm
Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 87 Posts

Actually, the discussion about how many times you can reuse bears in the carboy is an old one. See, for example:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f45/reus...3/#post4671321

Like many other parts of homebrewing, it depends on your process. And the tenacity of your local gnome population.

For they garner the succulent berries of the hop and mass and sift and bruise and brew them and they mix therewith sour juices and bring the must to the sacred fire and cease not night or day from their toil, those cunning brothers, lords of the vat. -James Joyce

On deck: Orange Cranberry Wit, Dusseldorf Altbier
Primary: Belgian Partigyle Tripel/Saison, 1/1
Secondary: none
Bottles: Northern Brown Ale, 1/10; English IPA, 12/31; Cider, 12/9; White House Honey Ale AG, 12/9;
neosapien Likes This 
Old 12-11-2012, 03:19 PM   #16
DrunkleJon
I'm good enough. I'm smart enough. And doggone it, people like me.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1297 Times on 947 Posts
Likes Given: 594

I always start with a fresh cub in my primary. I get a fresher, cleaner flavor. Sourcing the cubs is rather dangerous as their mothers dont like you getting between them, and disposing of them after fermentation is a real 'bear'.

Ok I am going to go hide now.

Old 12-11-2012, 03:21 PM   #17
cheezydemon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1649 Times on 1240 Posts
Likes Given: 3007

New EXTRA serious poll to air some of this dirty laundry.,,,,to dispel some myths and get us all on to brewing better beer.
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f45/very...-bears-373475/

Old 12-11-2012, 03:40 PM   #18
jerrodm
Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 87 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkleJon View Post
I always start with a fresh cub in my primary. I get a fresher, cleaner flavor. Sourcing the cubs is rather dangerous as their mothers dont like you getting between them, and disposing of them after fermentation is a real 'bear'.

Ok I am going to go hide now.
Wait, you HIDE the bears? Is that before or after fermenting? And why? I always put them in there unharmed, I find that the less stressed the bear is, the better it performs (like yeast). Or do you hide them afterward? For drinking beer in the carboy? I've never really had many bear-related discipline problems...gnomes, on the other hand, I'd love to give one of them a good hiding, if I could only catch the little buggers.
For they garner the succulent berries of the hop and mass and sift and bruise and brew them and they mix therewith sour juices and bring the must to the sacred fire and cease not night or day from their toil, those cunning brothers, lords of the vat. -James Joyce

On deck: Orange Cranberry Wit, Dusseldorf Altbier
Primary: Belgian Partigyle Tripel/Saison, 1/1
Secondary: none
Bottles: Northern Brown Ale, 1/10; English IPA, 12/31; Cider, 12/9; White House Honey Ale AG, 12/9;

Old 12-11-2012, 04:02 PM   #19
DrunkleJon
I'm good enough. I'm smart enough. And doggone it, people like me.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1297 Times on 947 Posts
Likes Given: 594

No, I hide as a result of reviving the bears topic. Its not a troll... its a bear!

I also hide from the momma bears. They dont agree with dry-bearing.

Old 12-12-2012, 02:19 PM   #20
RmikeVT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 6

UNSUBSCRIBE UNSUBSCRIBE!!!!! Aaahhhh

Im terrified of bears, let alone gnomes. I would have never started brewing if I knew any of this. What have I gotten myself into. I live in a city and dump my spent grain down the gutter in the alley -- the gnomes and bears probably think Im just mocking them -- oh man, Im in trouble.

Quick Reply