New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Boiling Hops with DME or corn sugar for bottle conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2011, 10:55 AM   #1
theDunagans
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Boiling Hops with DME or corn sugar for bottle conditioning

I want to add hop flavor-not bitterness-just before bottling. I could dry hop, but I wanted to try something different.

I usually carbonate with corn sugar, but I was thinking I could make a small batch of hop flavored wort to mix in at bottling.

Thoughts?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2011, 11:00 AM   #2
jb721
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

When you say hop flavored wort do you mean water, corn sugar and hops? The longer you boil hops, the more bitterness. I'd dry hop.

JB

Primary : Edwort's Apfelwein, Chinook IPA
Secondary : Nada
Bottled/Kegged : Custom Canadian Draft, Custom Bewitched Red Ale
Future Brews : More Chinook IPA and More Apfelwein!

Old 04-05-2011, 11:11 AM   #3
BeerEagle
Recipes 

Liked 91 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 7

If you want hop flavour then you need to boil it for some time don't you. I thought that dry hopping was all about aroma.

Old 04-05-2011, 12:55 PM   #4
theDunagans
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb721 View Post
When you say hop flavored wort do you mean water, corn sugar and hops? The longer you boil hops, the more bitterness. I'd dry hop.
I mean water + corn sugar or dme + hops. I'm more interested in aroma and flavor, not bitterness. Dry hopping is plan A.

Old 04-05-2011, 12:59 PM   #5
Dr. Francois
Dry Yeast FTW
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Sounds like an expedient way to bypass dry hopping. I like it.

I imagine if you boil the hops in the priming sugar too long you'll mute the up-front flavors you're seeking. I'd recommend 3-5 minutes, tops.

One other complication: if you boil the hops in the sugar solution, the hops will absorb quite a bit, thus throwing off your calculation for bottle priming.

Perhaps make a separate hop tea and add in the bottling bucket along with your priming sugar?

Dr. François

"We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be."
--Kurt Vonnegut

Old 04-05-2011, 01:31 PM   #6
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerEagle View Post
If you want hop flavour then you need to boil it for some time don't you. I thought that dry hopping was all about aroma.
It has a HUGE effect on taste as well. The flavors and aromas that are extracted at cold temperatures in beer differ from those extracted at boiling in wort.
Secondary: Flanders Red I
Kegged: 3 different ciders, Janet's Brown, Barrel-aged Stout, Hallertau Blanc Pale Ale
Bottled: Flanders Red I

Old 04-05-2011, 02:45 PM   #7
kanzimonson
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 22 Posts

How about a 5 minute, continuously hopped solution of priming sugar? Drop in a few pellets every 30 seconds for 5 minutes.

Don't forget that you'll lose a bunch of liquid to the hops. Maybe you'll want to separate the hops out before adding the priming sugar, just to make sure the batch gets the right amount before bottling.

Old 04-05-2011, 03:45 PM   #8
jb721
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I think another thing that would end up happening if you're putting DME as well is increased sediment because you're giving the yeast even more food to munch on besides the corn sugar. Still, if you want to give it a try I say go for it. I'd be curious how the result comes out. Maybe prime a couple bottles regular with just sugar so you have a basis for comparison. Obviously you'll have more hop flavor in the one but still... Experimentation is fun. I rarely follow a recipe exactly. Post results. Cheers!

JB

Primary : Edwort's Apfelwein, Chinook IPA
Secondary : Nada
Bottled/Kegged : Custom Canadian Draft, Custom Bewitched Red Ale
Future Brews : More Chinook IPA and More Apfelwein!

Old 04-05-2011, 04:25 PM   #9
theDunagans
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcaneXor View Post
It has a HUGE effect on taste as well. The flavors and aromas that are extracted at cold temperatures in beer differ from those extracted at boiling in wort.
I'm using Northern Brewer Hops AA 9.4%. What flavors would you expect from boiling vs dry hopping @60°?

Old 04-05-2011, 05:02 PM   #10
smagee
Most impressive "member"
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

I would recommend one of two paths:
1) Dry hop--First choice; no drawbacks, gives you good hop flavor/aroma. Should be exactly what you're looking for.
2) Hop tea--Second choice; heating hops will invariably add bitterness (albeit not much, as the boil shortens) and it sounds like you want the flavor, not bitterness.

Given that you want to do something new, I'd still opt for choice 2 over priming hops. Hop extraction is limited by two major factors in brewing: overall volume and concentration of the wort. A priming solution is, by nature, a fairly concentrated sugar solution. This sugar will limit the potency of the hops you use when compared to a standard hop tea. When I prepare a priming solution, I typically try to use as little liquid as possible, such that my overall volume is minimally impacted. The combined aspect of small volume plus high concentration could reduce the amount of "hop" you get from your strategy.

I don't know how significant the difference would be, but I think you'd be happier with the "tea" method if you really want to change things up. That said, I still think dryhopping would be best .

Quick Reply