Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Boil Off

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2008, 07:30 PM   #1
Fenster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Boil Off

I'm going to use my bayou classic for the first time today.
Planning on boiling 6 gallons down to 51/4 in an hour.

If I lose more volume than expected to the boil can I just top it off at the end with no ill effect?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2008, 07:50 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2774 Times on 1659 Posts
Likes Given: 3486

If you're doing extract, then yes....if you're going allgrain, then no...you need to know the boiloff rate of your bayou and figure it in...

Why don't you run a test with plain water before you actually start working woth your wort...Bring 6 gallons up to boil and time it til you get 5 1/2...Then cool the water and use it for either your strike/sparge water or if extract use it for your wort and topp off water...That way you'll know the boiloff rate of your rig...

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 03-15-2008, 07:53 PM   #3
scottfro
Recipes 

i figured it wouldn't matter if it was all grain or extract....why can't you top up with AG?

Secondary:

Bottled:
#30 Chocolate Porter
#27 Smoked Ale
#26 Hard Apple Cider (Champagne Yeast)
#25 Big Als' Blackberry Brew 2008
#15 Hard Apple Cyser

Kegged:
#31 Field Hand Hefeweizen

http://www.deterrabrewing.com/forum <-- Vancouver Homebrewing Network

Old 03-15-2008, 08:51 PM   #4
5 Is Not Enough
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy
If you're doing extract, then yes....if you're going allgrain, then no...you need to know the boiloff rate of your bayou and figure it in...

Why don't you run a test with plain water before you actually start working woth your wort...Bring 6 gallons up to boil and time it til you get 5 1/2...Then cool the water and use it for either your strike/sparge water or if extract use it for your wort and topp off water...That way you'll know the boiloff rate of your rig...
I don't get why you say that you can add water to extract, but not AG?

I'd also mention that boil-off is relative. There are a lot of variables that affect it.

Old 03-16-2008, 04:30 AM   #5
Got Trub?
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

If you overshoot your final volume you can top off. It doesn't matter if it is all grain or extract. The only "ill effect" might be a lttle more kettle caramelization. I actually have two boil off rates determined for my system. One for a good rolling boil and another for a gentle, ticking over boil. There is a significant difference. Just be sure to accurately measure your pre and post boil volumes so you can calculate your boil off rate for future reference. Also be aware that hot wort takes up more space then cool wort so there is a small difference in the volume of your hot wort vs your chilled wort.

GT

Old 03-16-2008, 05:26 PM   #6
Fenster
Recipes 

Thanks for the replies.
I wound up losing a gallon and topped off with 1/4.
The SQ14 performed admirably.

Quick Reply