Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Boil off on 11 gal batches?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2009, 07:32 PM   #11
Malticulous
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I consistently boil off one gallon/hour regardless of starting volume.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2009, 09:20 PM   #12
Droot
Recipes 

Boil off rate should be about the same. BOIL OVER rate may go up.....

David

Yellow beer (pale ale) in keg

Chocolate stout In keg

Front Porch Porter in keg

weat beer and fruit in the conical

IPA of some kind on Deck!

I get more out of it when I put more into it. :)

Old 07-06-2009, 09:32 PM   #13
hukdizzle
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I will have 25% headspace in the kettle and have the option of using fermcap, boil over rate will be minimal at best

Old 07-06-2009, 09:42 PM   #14
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 610 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 456

Quote:
Originally Posted by hukdizzle View Post
This is exactly what I am talking about. I am thinking that the boil off rate will be slightly lower due to the fact that the liquid will not boil as vigorously being larger. This is the same exact kettle and setup I use for 5.5 gal batches.
Not sure, but it sounds like you're missing the point that is being made here. The boil off rate in BeerSmith is useless. Boil off has to be measured in gallons per hour, not a percentage of the volume. If you boil off 1-1/2 gallon with a five gallon batch, you'll boil off 1-1/2 gallons with a ten gallon batch. That means that the percentage you use in BeerSmith will be about half. Adjust that percentage number until it gives you the same volume boiled off as you get with a five gallon batch.

This is assuming a constant intensity of boil and you'll have to apply more heat to the larger batch to achieve that. But from the sound of it you may be boiling a bit too hard as is. You're not just going full bore with your burner, are you?

Old 07-07-2009, 12:47 AM   #15
jkarp
Beer Herder
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 4

The "boil off %" thing just needs to die. It's flat-out wrong, yet it keeps getting perpetuated in calculators like Beer Smith.

Every system is different - even with the same size kettle. Hell, even location (altitude) makes a big difference. Only way to accurately determine YOUR gal/hr boil off rate is to test it.

Old 07-07-2009, 03:00 AM   #16
hukdizzle
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOldUR View Post
Not sure, but it sounds like you're missing the point that is being made here. The boil off rate in BeerSmith is useless. Boil off has to be measured in gallons per hour, not a percentage of the volume. If you boil off 1-1/2 gallon with a five gallon batch, you'll boil off 1-1/2 gallons with a ten gallon batch. That means that the percentage you use in BeerSmith will be about half. Adjust that percentage number until it gives you the same volume boiled off as you get with a five gallon batch.

This is assuming a constant intensity of boil and you'll have to apply more heat to the larger batch to achieve that. But from the sound of it you may be boiling a bit too hard as is. You're not just going full bore with your burner, are you?
Makes complete sense now, thanks for that I am hard headed haha.

I am running my boils all out which is more than likely a waste of propane but I did it to have a constant output of heat/propane.

Old 07-07-2009, 10:02 AM   #17
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 610 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 456

Quote:
Originally Posted by hukdizzle View Post
I am running my boils all out which is more than likely a waste of propane but I did it to have a constant output of heat/propane.
I'm a fan of a good rolling boil, but don't go crazy. I have a Bayou SQ14 and a 15 gallon pot. Even when boiling 10+ gallons, I will back off the heat once hot break is achieved.

Quick Reply