New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Boil off on 11 gal batches?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2009, 04:59 PM   #1
hukdizzle
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Boil off on 11 gal batches?

Need some help on my boil off figures for going to 10 gallon batches.

Currently I am using a setup where I am boiling off roughly 35.75% of volume off in a 90 minute boil to end up with a 5.5 gallon final cold volume. These boils are starting off at 8.56 gallons pre boil due to the liquid surface area width of my BK which is quite large due to how wide it is.

Now with all of that said I am going to make a jump to 10 gallon batches here soon and utilizing the same equipment figures in Beersmith gives me almost a 15 gallon pre boil volume which seems extremely large but right on point with the current boil off values. My only concern here is the fact that I am dealing with a larger volume of liquid and it may not boil as vigorously as the smaller 5.5 gallon batch. Should I use two different equipment profiles for the larger sized batches? I have no problem boiling this larger amount of liquid having a 20gal BK but I am concerned that these figures will be incorrect due to dealing with a larger amount of wort.

Thoughts?

Primary 1 - Cream Ale
Primary 2 - Cream Ale
Primary 3 - Empty
Secondary 1 - Empty
Bottled - Apfelwein, Big Roasted Rocket Fuel RIS
Kegged 1 - English Nut Brown Ale
Kegged 2 - American Brown IPA
Kegged 3 - Bavarian Hefeweizen
Kegged 4 - Empty
Kegged 5 - Empty

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2009, 05:05 PM   #2
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4524 Times on 4245 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Fill system with 10 gallons of water and boil it for 90 minutes.

If the factor changes set-up another equipment profile.

Old 07-06-2009, 05:13 PM   #3
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector

Recipes 

Liked 2729 Times on 2680 Posts
Likes Given: 99

I would think that if 3.01 G boiled off on a 5 G batch, 3.01 G would boil off on an equally vigorous boil of an 11G batch. Not so much a percentage. Can someone explain this?

Climate and boil consistent, should boil off the same amount of water in the same amount of time, not the same percentage of water.

This is just my thought and assumption.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 07-06-2009, 05:38 PM   #4
Brewmasters Warehouse
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrregularPulse View Post
I would think that if 3.01 G boiled off on a 5 G batch, 3.01 G would boil off on an equally vigorous boil of an 11G batch. Not so much a percentage. Can someone explain this?
I agree that the boil off rate is more of a constant than a percentage IF you are using the same boil kettle for both. The surface area and boil strength are the biggest factors to boil off rate, though outside temp and humidity are also factors. So if you boil at the same strength with the same surface area then the amount of liquid boiled off would be the same. The total liquid volume would not be a determining factor. At least that is how I understand it.

Purchase a recipe with Brew Builder and save 10% off the recipe. Use discount code: BBBYO

Become a fan of BMW on Facebook.

Old 07-06-2009, 05:40 PM   #5
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 3854 Times on 2815 Posts
Likes Given: 644

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrregularPulse View Post

Climate and boil consistent, should boil off the same amount of water in the same amount of time, not the same percentage of water.

This is just my thought and assumption.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewmasters Warehouse View Post
I agree that the boil off rate is more of a constant than a percentage IF you are using the same boil kettle for both. The surface area and boil strength are the biggest factors to boil off rate, though outside temp and humidity are also factors. So if you boil at the same strength with the same surface area then the amount of liquid boiled off would be the same. The total liquid volume would not be a determining factor. At least that is how I understand it.
Yep, I agree. Since the surface area is the same, you should have the same boil off. Not as a percentage, but as a volume. If you boil off 1.5 gallons an hour with 5 gallons, in the same pot you will boil off 1.5 gallons an hour with 10 gallons alos.

Old 07-06-2009, 05:42 PM   #6
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 574 Times on 357 Posts
Likes Given: 52

The boil off rate (measured in gallons/hour, not percent volume/hour) may actually decline slightly since 11 gallons will require more energy to sustain a boil.

Old 07-06-2009, 05:45 PM   #7
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.

Recipes 

Liked 4524 Times on 4245 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri_Rage View Post
The boil off rate (measured in gallons/hour, not percent volume/hour) may actually decline slightly since 11 gallons will require more energy to sustain a boil.
Yes. And, if you are in fact boiling off 35% an hour I'd wager you could also stand to put less energy into your boils.

Old 07-06-2009, 05:55 PM   #8
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector

Recipes 

Liked 2729 Times on 2680 Posts
Likes Given: 99

Quote:
What kind of volume are you talking about as "slight"? anything noticeable the casual brewer?

I tend to not take as good of notes as I always say I'm going to and always stress about volumes.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 07-06-2009, 06:42 PM   #9
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 574 Times on 357 Posts
Likes Given: 52

I'm not certain, since there are so many variables at play. The volume increase is significant enough to warrant a trial run to recalculate the boil off rate.

Old 07-06-2009, 07:29 PM   #10
hukdizzle
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
This is exactly what I am talking about. I am thinking that the boil off rate will be slightly lower due to the fact that the liquid will not boil as vigorously being larger. This is the same exact kettle and setup I use for 5.5 gal batches.

This marginal percentage that Yuri was referring to may actually be calculated with BeerSmith, when I figure up the boil off estimation that I get in Beersmith for a 10 gallon batch starting with a pre boil volume of 14.95 gallons I get a 33.12% boil off rate over the course of 90 minutes.

Estimated boil off for 5.5 gal batch: 35.75%

Estimated boil off for 10 gal batch: 33.12%

Looks like BS factored in a 2.63% loss of boil off.

Primary 1 - Cream Ale
Primary 2 - Cream Ale
Primary 3 - Empty
Secondary 1 - Empty
Bottled - Apfelwein, Big Roasted Rocket Fuel RIS
Kegged 1 - English Nut Brown Ale
Kegged 2 - American Brown IPA
Kegged 3 - Bavarian Hefeweizen
Kegged 4 - Empty
Kegged 5 - Empty

Last edited by hukdizzle; 07-06-2009 at 07:39 PM.

Quick Reply