Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Boil hops separate from wort?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2007, 12:53 PM   #1
davarm
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Boil hops separate from wort?

I recently made a IIPA extract kit from Northern Brewer. For that particular kit, they suggested making a separate "hop tea" and combining with the wort towards the end of the boil. The finishing hops were added straight to the wort in the last 10 minutes and at the end of the boil. I have to say, I did like the results.

It got me wondering if it was advantageous to make a separate hop tea for every batch I make. One plus is that the amount of hops don't have to be altered if I choose to do a full boil.

Does anybody else boil their hops separately on a regular basis?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2007, 01:55 PM   #2
SW Brewer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I made this same kit, and it is on its second month aging now in the secondary. I would be cautious about making a seperate hop tea for each batch where there isnt such a high malt bill. You run the risk of making a VERY bitter beer. I have been using beersmith to calculate bitterness using different hop schedules and late extract additions when I do extract batches.

Greg

Secondary2:Red Hawk Ale (Extract)
Secondary3:Air
Bottled:Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale (PM) Batch Two
Bottled:Northern Brewer IIPA
Bottled:
On Deck:Nothing, my wife will kill me!

Old 09-11-2007, 02:13 PM   #3
Bosh
Recipes 

I'm having to do this for my bigger beers since I don't have a big enough brew pot to boil everything together without getting lots of nasty boilovers So far, so good.

On deck: Oatmeal Stout
Primary: Bourbon Red Ale
Bottled: Dunkelweizen and Dunkel

Old 09-11-2007, 02:21 PM   #4
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 385 Times on 318 Posts
Likes Given: 105

The issue is that when you do a concentrated wort boil, you inhibit the extraction of the bitterness from the hops. When you boil in pure water, you're getting as much bitterness from them as possible (and the more water you boil in, the higher the extraction).

The other, I think better, way of approaching this is to add the majority of your extract to the boil in the last ten minutes. Extract doesn't need to be boiled 60 minutes, only 10 or so to ensure sanitation. Doing this allows the hops to have their alpha acids extracted to a greater degree, since they're being boiled in a lower-gravity wort for most of that time.

As a side benefit, the beer will be a lot lighter.

The danger, as has been mentioned, is that it is easy to overdo the bitterness if you're not careful.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 09-11-2007, 09:51 PM   #5
paranode
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird
Extract doesn't need to be boiled 60 minutes, only 10 or so to ensure sanitation.
In fact technically you don't need to boil it at all since it comes in sanitary condition.

Old 09-11-2007, 09:51 PM   #6
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 137 Times on 130 Posts

I've used the approach once in a while, but I rarely need that much bittering.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 09-12-2007, 12:43 AM   #7
niquejim
Burrowing Owl Brewery
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 87

Everything I've seen and read says that doesn't work. You need the malt to isomerize the alpha acid in the hops. Hop teas usually taste grassy.

Quick Reply