Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Boil after steeping?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2010, 02:00 PM   #1
chask31
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Boil after steeping?

I brew extract with about 2 lbs or so of grain depending on the recipe. All of the instructions and books I have read say to steep the grains for 45 or so min, remove grains, bring the water to a boil, then remove the water from the burner, add the extract and bring the water back to a boil.

Some of the posts I have read seem to skip bringing the water to a boil before adding the extract. Do people skip this step? Is it a necessary step. It always seemed like a waste of time to me.

Tap #1: Cucumber Honey Wheat Ale
Tap #2: Rye Ale
Primary #1: empty
Primary #2: empty
On Deck: Wit

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2010, 02:53 PM   #2
Burgs
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I usually just try to guess about how much time I've got until the water hits 170°, when I'm about 30-40 minutes away from that, I have my steeping grains in.

Once I hit 170°, I take them out and I don't really mess with the burner. I just let it continue to build up to boiling. When I get to the point where I'm boiling, I start stirring like crazy to kill the boil and add the extract in slowly. It helps to have someone else pouring while you keep a little whirlpool going. I don't think I've had any scorching issues to date.

That being said, this is on my kitchen stove. I have a new propane burner that heats my brew up about 3-4 times faster, so I expect to have to change this method when I use it. I'm thinking I'll probably have to kill the flame when my grains go in or it will get to boiling in less than 30-40 minutes, fo sho.

*edit* I'll probably kill the burner when I add extract too. I think it all comes down to avoiding scorching & that's why they tell you to kill the heat.

I definitely don't do the whole take the pot completely off the burner thing either. F lifting all that.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply