Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Blowoffs vs. airlock and the impact on the final product

View Poll Results: Blowoff tubes vs. airlocks and the impact on the final product
Blowoff fermentation makes for SIGNIFICANTLY BETTER beer than airlock fermentation 1 4.55%
Blowoff fermentation makes for MODESTLY BETTER beer than airlock fermentation 1 4.55%
There is LITTLE OR NO DIFFERENCE in beers fermented with airlock or blowoff 19 86.36%
Airlock fermentation makes for MODESTLY BETTER beer than blowoff fermentation 0 0%
Airlock fermentation makes for SIGNIFICANTLY BETTER beer than blowoff fermentation 1 4.55%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2005, 03:16 AM   #1
Thor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default Blowoffs vs. airlock and the impact on the final product

I've been an airlock user to date, but found the need to quickly put together a makeshift blowoff last week, when my Fat Tire clone started foaming out of the airlock.

It got me wondering, hence this survey. The basic question is this: does using a blowoff setup have a noticeably positive impact on the end beer's flavor vs. using an airlock, is it the opposite, or there no real difference in the end result.

Enjoy!

-------------
On-deck: an ESB; a Sierra Nevada Porter clone; an Irish Ale
Primary: cleaning
Secondary 1: Summer Wheat
Secondary 2: American Ale
Bottled/Conditioning: Lonely
Bottled/Drinking: Heineken clone w/Calif. Ale yeast; Fat Tire clone

Last edited by Thor; 12-15-2005 at 03:21 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2005, 03:33 AM   #2
DeRoux's Broux

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

i say no difference. i've had 'em kraeusen up into air locks, and no off flavors or problems.

Cheers!
DeRoux's Broux

Old 12-15-2005, 03:45 AM   #3
ScottT

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

A blow off is just a different version of an airlock. It just allows the foam to expell if it gets that high.

Neither allow air back in just gas out.

Scott

Primary: Empty

Secondary #2: Empty

Bottle Conditioning: Oatmeal Stout

Drinking from Keg: Ordinary Bitter, Kolsch

Drinking bottled: Brown Autumn Wee Heavy
Hefe Weizen
Peaches and Cream Weizen

"This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption... Beer!"
-Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, Friar Tuck.

Next up: Hefe Weizen

Old 12-15-2005, 04:26 AM   #4
PFlint
Recipes 

I would be inclined to agree with the little to no difference crowd. Papazan says that blowing of kraeusen expelles undesiralbe fusals and resins...in my experience the batches that I've made that didn't blow off (because I use a larger fermenter) were better; however, I changed several factors around the same time so I would not point to this as being the one.

Old 12-16-2005, 02:53 AM   #5
woodstone
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I agree with the posts and didn't vote because I don't like the choices. I don't use a blow off because I hate to see the foam escape from the primary and turn to liquid...I should be drinking that stuff, not watching it hit the sanitizing solution!!!! I've been using a 6.5 gallon glass carboy with a lock as a primary and typically transfer to a secondary within two weeks at the max. I've not tasted any ill effects AND WILL NEVER AGAIN WASTE THE FOAM!

Old 12-16-2005, 05:49 AM   #6
Tony

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I voted Modestly Better, but right between that choice and No Difference would be my real choice. I believe that blowing off does get rid of some materials and that it helps minutely at best.

It saves a mess though for sure!

Dead Soldier:Hop Rod Rye Stout
Dead Soldier: Imperial Hell Fire Ale

Old 12-16-2005, 11:28 AM   #7
The Happy Mug

Recipes 

You know, I think I can come up with a solution to figure out this problem.

Picture please, if you will.

Primary fermenting vessel. Filled nearly full. Blow-off tube attached, leading into a second carboy, fitted with an airlock. Keep all blow-off in second carboy. After blow-off, transfer 1/2 of the primary into the second carboy and allow each to ferment fully, racking and bottling both at the same time and keeping them seperate. Taste will tell.

Allergy Warning: This post was made by a person who may be nuts

From the store: Nothing right now, how sad
Up Next: Thinking about an amber rye
Secondary: "Not as Pale as Death" pale ale (since april, man I hate bottling.)
In bottles: Lager than Life Beer, Rocky Raccoon Honey Lager, A nameless Imperial Stout (my first AG!)

Old 12-16-2005, 11:14 PM   #8
woodstone
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

You've a point. I may try if I have the ambition during my next batch but I'm usually short on ambition on brew daze, errr days ...willing to bet the effort and difference in taste is probably not worth the effort, like someone posted, "minimal at best". Guys, post em if you get em...results that is! Cheers all, ITS FRIGGIN FRIDAY!!!!

Quick Reply