Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Blow-off tubes are fun...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2008, 06:34 PM   #1
CallMeZoot
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Blow-off tubes are fun...

It was a brew day of many firsts -- first time mashing (Partial Mash), first time doing primary in a glass carboy instead of bucket, and first time using a blow-off tube.

I have to say, this is a lot more fun. All the blubs and gurgles and splats from the blowoff tube are much cooler then a few wimpy airlock bubbles. And fermenting in a carboy means I can watch all the action, which I've never had a chance to do in a bucket. Man, beer looks pretty nasty on the first few days, doesn't it?

And even with my wimpy 3lb partial mash, it was a lot more fun than extract/steep, and the smell is much nicer (although SWMBO was bothered by the smell for the first time -- I'll definitely have to start doing my brewing outside when I move to All Grain.

chris.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2008, 06:36 PM   #2
cheezydemon
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Lol!! Lovin it Brother! Enjoy it.....and NO! Beer looks too Farging cool when it is rolling and bubbling.

BOTTLED: "Route 66 IPA" 7% ABV, "Dave's Imperial Stout" 12% ABV , "Spider Imperial Stout" 9%ABV , "Mutt Irish Ale" 7% ABV, "Sorta Sierra" IPA's 4.4% ABV, "Habanero Ales" 5.5% ABV, "Pumpkin Seed Ale" 5.5% ABV , "Marzen" Lager, "Step child Ale",
PRIMARies: "Caramel Amber" , "Black Porter"
SECONDARIES:1 :"Miller Ale"
On DECK: Another Russian Stout

Old 02-11-2008, 06:48 PM   #3
Blender

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I really like brewing in carboys vs. buckets. I always use a blow-off just for peace of mind.

Quick Reply