Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > to blend or not to blend, that is the question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2011, 02:13 PM   #1
TheWeeb
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 110 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Default to blend or not to blend, that is the question

We brew 15 gallon batches at our homebrew club, and sometimes our boil volumes are off, resulting in some extra wort that will not fit into the three carboys used for fermenting.

The brewmaster has the option of taking this "extra" home and fermenting it out.

I now have a gallon each of an Oktoberfest Marzen and a Rye Porter ready to bottle.

I am considering blending these in the bottling bucket. Any thoughts on how it would come out? The O'fest is at the upper end of the style guide, the porter on the low end. I will blend a small sample and taste it, but if anyone else has blended these two styles please advise

Up Next: Imperial Rhubarb Wheat
Fermenting:
Enjoying: too many odd bottles to list..

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2011, 06:40 PM   #2
laiced
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Being completely new to this, take my opinion as pure n00b-talk, but I would ask:
"Why not?"

If this is extra wort then I would be more than willing to ferment it in a bucket, stashed in the corner, as an experiment. Experiments are how greatness is discovered and it might suck, but it might also be your new house beer....

That being said, I understand that the variables on the styles, fermentation temps, etc. are different for these two, but it couldn't hurt to try. At the very least, it might taste like crap but still give you a buzz (if you are in to that sort of thing).

Planning - Dark-fruit Rye Wine, Cherry Brown Ale, Session Citrus IPA, SweetStone Pale Ale [MagicHat #9 clone]
Primary -
Secondary -
Bottled - Experimental Gruit, SweetStone Pale Ale [Magic Hat #9 clone], Touch of Strange Graff (Brandon O's)
Deceased - Halzelnut Honey Brown, Orange Honey Heffe, Caramel Cream Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply