Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > BJCP style help
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2008, 02:45 AM   #1
SuperiorBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,693
Liked 25 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default BJCP style help

I want to send a few brews out to a competition, but two if them fall into the same category I think.

I have a Fat Tire clone 10B & I also have a Canadian Ale 10B again I think. And I have a Nut Brown 10C
Do you think the Canadian Ale could go as a Lawnmower Beer or EIS Anything?

http://www.bjcp.org/styles04/


10A. American Pale Ale
10B. American Amber Ale
10C. American Brown Ale

__________________
SuperiorBrew is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2008, 03:14 PM   #2
TexLaw
Here's Lookin' Atcha!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
TexLaw's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 3,698
Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts

Default

Without actually sampling the beer, it's about impossible to say what category it may do well in. I don't know what you mean by Lawnmower or EIS Anything when it comes to BJCP catefories, though.


TL

__________________
Beer is good for anything from hot dogs to heartache.

Drinking Frog Brewery, est. 1993
TexLaw is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2008, 07:41 PM   #3
CBBaron
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
CBBaron's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 2,787
Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperiorBrew
I want to send a few brews out to a competition, but two if them fall into the same category I think.

I have a Fat Tire clone 10B & I also have a Canadian Ale 10B again I think. And I have a Nut Brown 10C
Do you think the Canadian Ale could go as a Lawnmower Beer or EIS Anything?

http://www.bjcp.org/styles04/


10A. American Pale Ale
10B. American Amber Ale
10C. American Brown Ale
So, doubles your chance of winning the category. Is there any rules that say you can't have multiple entries in a single category.
I've also read where you can enter the same beer in multiple categories if it crosses boundaries. Costs you extra in fees but might be a safer bet if you are unsure.
Craig
__________________
CBBaron is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2008, 08:00 PM   #4
flowerysong
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
flowerysong's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 287
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexLaw
Without actually sampling the beer, it's about impossible to say what category it may do well in. I don't know what you mean by Lawnmower or EIS Anything when it comes to BJCP catefories, though.
Those are probably special categories specific to the competition he's planning to enter.

While I don't recall which one offhand, one competition that I looked at had a category EIS-anything, into which you could enter an eis-version of any BJCP style (eisbock, eisweizen, eisbarleywine, etc.) To the OP: we can't really tell you whether an eis-version of your beer would be worth entering in a competition; you'd have to do the freeze-concentration and see how it turns out.

As for "Lawnmower Beer", I don't know the exact guidelines for the category, but in general parlance it would generally mean a light, refreshing beer that would be perfect for drinking while you mow the lawn on a hot summer day. In my opinion, a beer that would do well in 10B would probably be a bit too heavy to enter in this category.
__________________

Primary #1 - Empty
Primary #2 - Empty
Secondary #1 - The Jolly Toper's Undrinkable Ale
Secondary #2 - Empty

flowerysong is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2008, 08:33 PM   #5
TexLaw
Here's Lookin' Atcha!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
TexLaw's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 3,698
Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBBaron
So, doubles your chance of winning the category. Is there any rules that say you can't have multiple entries in a single category.
I've also read where you can enter the same beer in multiple categories if it crosses boundaries. Costs you extra in fees but might be a safer bet if you are unsure.
Craig
Every competition I know puts some limit on the number of entries you can put into a a category, but you usually get to put at least two into a medal category. I know of one that allows two entries per subcategory.

Yep, you certainly can enter the same beer in more than one category, if you want to pay the fee.

I agree that an American Amber probably would be too heavy for a "lawnmower beer," but if it's more along the lines of a Canadian ale, it might be worth a shot.


TL
__________________
Beer is good for anything from hot dogs to heartache.

Drinking Frog Brewery, est. 1993
TexLaw is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2008, 10:56 PM   #6
SuperiorBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,693
Liked 25 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

It is one entry per category

I ended up putting it in 6A Cream Ale. It might have slighty too much hops but its fairly close.

__________________
SuperiorBrew is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What BJCP style would this go in? Q2XL General Beer Discussion 4 09-26-2009 12:26 PM
BJCP Style Classifications help? violins Recipes/Ingredients 3 07-11-2008 02:11 AM
BJCP style guidlines Jaybird General Beer Discussion 2 09-27-2007 04:57 AM
BJCP Style definitions zoebisch01 Recipes/Ingredients 4 02-04-2007 07:40 PM