Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > bitter orange peal

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2007, 03:24 AM   #1
z987k
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default bitter orange peal

I'm making my second wit but this time primary fermentation will take place in a carboy instead of my plastic bucket. There for I will have to siphon out of the brew pot. Last time I brewed a wit, I let most of the orange peals go into the primary and then got rid of them after racking for bottling. I was wondering if not having the orange peal in the primary would lessen the flavor a lot.?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2007, 03:36 AM   #2
Lil' Sparky
Cowboys EAC
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 32 Posts

I don't think so. If you put them in for the last 10-15 mins you'll get plenty of that flavor. I'm drinking a belgian right now and it's LOADED w/ orange and spice flavor! I had no particles make it to the primary.

Old 04-30-2007, 02:29 AM   #3
hoffie38
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by z987k
I'm making my second wit but this time primary fermentation will take place in a carboy instead of my plastic bucket. There for I will have to siphon out of the brew pot. Last time I brewed a wit, I let most of the orange peals go into the primary and then got rid of them after racking for bottling. I was wondering if not having the orange peal in the primary would lessen the flavor a lot.?
Hey, z987k. What's the hb scene like in Champaign these days? I grew up there, but moved to Dallas eight years ago. I worked at the Piccadilly liquors on Neil St. in college and we used to sell yeast and hops. Are there any local suppliers today?

Old 04-30-2007, 02:50 AM   #4
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 562 Times on 332 Posts
Likes Given: 201

Won't make a difference. I never get the coriander or orange peel into my fermenters. Once they've boiled for 10-15 minutes, the flavors are extracted.

Old 04-30-2007, 03:02 AM   #5
mikes65
Recipes 

don't forget as well, with most citrus, you want to add only the colored part of the rind. ...the inner, whiter part will impart a much more bitter flavor onto the finished product.

...at least it does in normal cooking, and can only assume that Beermaking is the same.

Old 04-30-2007, 04:49 AM   #6
z987k

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffie38
Hey, z987k. What's the hb scene like in Champaign these days? I grew up there, but moved to Dallas eight years ago. I worked at the Piccadilly liquors on Neil St. in college and we used to sell yeast and hops. Are there any local suppliers today?
Um, well I don't know anybody that does it here beside me.
I don't know if piccadilly sells hops and yeast or not, Ive only went there for beer. never looked, but there is a hbs in west champaign.

To everyone else, I removed the peal and coriander after the boil so I don't think there's any in the fermenter but I guess it doesn't matter.

Quick Reply