Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > BIAB trub loss

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2013, 09:10 PM   #1
guntadri
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default BIAB trub loss

I plan on moving to 3-gallon BIAB batches soon from extract and I'm trying to get my water volumes down. How much trub loss can I expect from my brewpot and the fermenter, typically?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2013, 11:44 PM   #2
1MadScientist
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 13

About 1/2 gallon, but you can toss the whole kettle contains into your fermenter.

In Cat Beers - I've Only Had One

BIABrewer.info / Closed-system pressurized fermentation technique

Brewing with MS; http://www.flickr.com/photos/madscientistbrewhaus/sets/72157633528473769/detail/

Old 02-15-2013, 06:16 PM   #3
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 272 Times on 238 Posts
Likes Given: 324

I do get a lot of trub, probably a gallon of a 6 gallon batch, but it all goes into the fermentor.

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Old 02-15-2013, 06:22 PM   #4
mb82
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 29

I usually get less then .25 gal in a 3 gal batch. Maybe it is because I am using a voile bag and I am also filtering the hops out with another smaller voile bag I place into my fermenter. But really I don't get that much more trub I feel then when I did extract.

Primary: Chesterfield wild(1 gal), Schepen
Bottled: SMASH, Chesterfield Wild, Summer In Sommelsdijk, Dog Days Saison
Up coming beers:

Old 02-15-2013, 09:30 PM   #5
guntadri
Recipes 

Awesome. Thanks all. I did plan on using voile for the grains and hop sock, so this is perfect.

Old 02-17-2013, 05:55 PM   #6
D_Nyholm
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I tend to get a lot of trub from biab and found these bucket filters from us plastics.

http://www.usplastic.com/mobile/item...id=24071#10877

I hope the link works but they are called ez strainers and they fit around the opening of a 5 gallon bucket. I got the 400 micron ones which may be a little too small but I expect to get much less trub into the fermenter and have easier racking. I will use them on my next batch next week.

Old 03-09-2014, 08:53 PM   #7
CountryGravy
The Reverent Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Not to wake an old thread, but I just completed my third BIAB, all between 2-3 gallons. I just wanted to add my experiences the last couple of weeks in case anyone else comes across this via Google.

I've been learning a lot of water lessons these weeks. My first two batches were a lot smaller than I thought they would be after trub, and boil off has been lower than I expected. Constantly keeping track of numbers.

I made a Tripel yesterday - 1.075 OG, 7.5 lb grain bill in my little 5 gallon brew pot. I was able to get 3.9 gallons pre-boil (dunk sparged with .75 gallon, so not a "true" BIAB I suppose), and boiled down to just over 3. I lost half a gallon to kettle trub, and I can already see I'm going to lose another half G or so to trub in the primary. Next time I'll put the whole contents in the primary and hope it all settles out.

I'm disappointed to lose so much to trub, but I'm enjoying BIAB and it suits my purposes perfectly. I plan now to lose at least .5 a gallon to trub per 3 gallon batch for smaller brews, and even more for big on beers.

Happy to say, the yeast are going crazy. Biggest beer I've ever brewed, and the most wonderful looking ferm I've ever seen. Woohoo!

Old 04-09-2014, 01:01 AM   #8
youngdh
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm having similar experiences even using trub mgmt such as whirfloc and whirlpooling. Whirlpooling just isn't working with 3-3.5G of wort. Not enough volumetric mass above the trub to form a cone. At least that's my excuse :-). I've gotten where if I want 2.5G into bottles I'd better plan for 3G into fermenter. With my 5G brewpot I have to do maxi-BIAB and hold back .5-.75G from boil which I sparge with at mash out temps.

DY

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Old 04-09-2014, 01:43 PM   #9
Oginme
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 77

I screen the wort going into the fermentor and leave about a quart behind in the pot along with most of the cold break proteins and hop particles. My trub loss in the fermentor is around a half a quart for a 2.5 gal batch.

Old 04-09-2014, 02:10 PM   #10
D_Nyholm
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oginme View Post
I screen the wort going into the fermentor and leave about a quart behind in the pot along with most of the cold break proteins and hop particles. My trub loss in the fermentor is around a half a quart for a 2.5 gal batch.
What size screen do you use? I bought a 400 micron screen and it clogged after 1/2 gallon went through. Not sure if a 200 micron would be too coarse? I have just been dealing with the trub and making larger batches to compensate.

Quick Reply