Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > BIAB + no-chill + US-05... is it that easy?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2012, 01:07 PM   #1
tasteslikechicken
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default BIAB + no-chill + US-05... is it that easy?

Not having brewed in a decade or so I am intrigued by these three relatively new time saving developments. When I left the scene BIAB and no-chill were rare or unknown (at least to me) and dry yeasts were sneered upon.

Now that I'm getting more serious about finally getting back into brewing I am drawn to this simple combo. Is it really that easy to produce good everyday beer this way? At least as a starting point, it seems the way to go.

Last edited by tasteslikechicken; 01-19-2012 at 01:23 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2012, 01:15 PM   #2
Horace
Recipes 

Yep, that easy. I have done my last five batches as BIAB and No-Chill without any problems and the beer tastes great. I use White Labs for yeast so I can't speak directly to using dry yeast.

Good Luck

Old 01-19-2012, 01:33 PM   #3
Bradinator
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 12

+1. Its all I do now. Almost all my brews are BIAB + no chills to no ill effect to the beer. I do not even use a chill cube and just let it sit in my brewpot overnight to cool (covered and clamped down of course!).

Brew days rarely take over 4 hours including milling, mashing, boiling, cleaning and finally racking the next day.

"There is only two ways do to something; The smart way or the hard way."

"Beer is pretty resilient stuff, its resistant to human stupidity"

Bradinator's Brews

Old 01-19-2012, 01:42 PM   #4
QuaffableQuips
Hopfen und Malz, Gott erhalt's.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 31

I've not tried BIAB or no-chill, but I can wholeheartedly endorse dry yeast. Unless I'm brewing a style that really requires a liquid strain (saison, Kolsch, etc), I pretty much default to US-05, Nottingham, S-04, and W-34/70 these days. With those four, I can brew a wide variety of styles that I like to drink, and I don't have to plan ahead and make a starter. I can spend more time brewing and less preparing to brew.

Old 01-19-2012, 01:46 PM   #5
kcross13
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I BIAB and use an ice bath in the sink. In one hour I get the brew down to pitching temp. I usually leave the fermentor in the ice bath after pitching for an hour as well to get that starting fermenting temp nice and low. Then it off to the races.

Old 01-19-2012, 04:15 PM   #6
lylo
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

For the most informative and complete source of BIAB try here.BIABrewer.info • Index page

Old 01-19-2012, 04:20 PM   #7
kpr121
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 67

I will speak to the no-chill and dry yeast. No-chill has been amazing for me, I just drain to a clean (doesnt even need to be sanitized) corny keg, let it drop in temp overnight, and the next day it is ready for oxygenating and pitching dry yeast.

In fact, I am looking to find something I can use my wort chiller for since its just sitting in the corner of the garage. I can think of something but I wont talk about it here

Bottled:
Bulk Aging:
Up Next: ???? Suggestions?

Old 01-20-2012, 10:37 AM   #8
jason.mundy
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasteslikechicken View Post
Not having brewed in a decade or so I am intrigued by these three relatively new time saving developments. When I left the scene BIAB and no-chill were rare or unknown (at least to me) and dry yeasts were sneered upon.

Now that I'm getting more serious about finally getting back into brewing I am drawn to this simple combo. Is it really that easy to produce good everyday beer this way? At least as a starting point, it seems the way to go.
I've made some good no-chill BIAB beers. But I would warn you about recipes with late hop additions. I've found some of my beers were over bittered because the hops were still at a high temperature in the cube.

If I were going to do a no chill beer again, I restrict myself to recipes with only one 60 minute hop addition.

I know that there was a chart in the no-chill thread about how to adjust the hops for no-chill. I didn't have much luck with that.

Jason

Old 01-20-2012, 12:04 PM   #9
wilserbrewer
BIAB Expert Tailor
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 436 Times on 371 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpr121 View Post
... and the next day it is ready for oxygenating and pitching dry yeast.

In fact, I am looking to find something I can use my wort chiller for since its just sitting in the corner of the garage. I can think of something but I wont talk about it here
Just an FYI, debate going on in the yeast forum regarding the need, to aerate w/ dry yeast. My consensus is it is not necesary w/ dry yeast.

I have taken it a step further, I no chill in the kettle, and then pitch directly to the kettle and ferment there, then transfer to a keg, easy peasy!

Funny, as I have also had thoughts of repurposing my chiller.

Old 01-20-2012, 12:21 PM   #10
tasteslikechicken
Recipes 

I guess there is a divide to some extent in the no-chill (air chill) community. Those who chill in the kettle vs those who chill in a cube. I can see the benefits to each but guess I lean toward chill/ferment in the winpak approach for my first attempts. But both are on my list to try.

Quick Reply