Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > The best wort Chiller

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2007, 10:19 PM   #21
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 910 Times on 606 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil' Sparky
Well, I'm glad your DIY CFC has held up better than the one I bought. To be fair morebeer.com has stopped selling them because of customer complaints.

This, too is what I do (no-rinse iodophor, not bleach). I still wouldn't call it simple to other chiller sanitizing procedures like Bobby said. You also didn't say how you purge the rinse water out - or do you? This is the other part of getting the CFC ready that annoys me.
Yup, you have to drain into a waste bucket until you get beer, then switch to the fermenter. This is a leg up for the plate chillers... the overall liquid volume is very low both on the wort and cooling sides.

I see claims to the speed of CFC cooling here and there and I want to make it clear that I don't think a gravity fed CFC is any faster than an immersion chiller on 5 gallon batches. The only way this would happen is if you compare "still-wort" immersion chilling. It is true, you need to stir the wort while you cool with an IC. If your ground water is over 70, you'll need icewater pumping or prechilling no matter what so there's no advantage to one chiller or another.

In fact, during the winter when my ground water is 55F, I got 5 gallons to pitching in 8 minutes with an IC. It takes just under 15 minutes to gravity drain though a CFC so the IC has the win there.
Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Last edited by Bobby_M; 06-30-2007 at 10:22 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2007, 10:40 PM   #22
Lil' Sparky
Cowboys EAC
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 32 Posts

Fair enough. Although I don't have a march pump yet, I do use a wort wizard, so no slow gravity drains for me. I'm completely limited by cooling capacity, and here I do think CFCs/plate chillers have an edge.

It seems like I've been talking a lot about how I don't have a march pump yet. I think this needs to change SOON!

Old 06-30-2007, 10:58 PM   #23
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 910 Times on 606 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Fair enough. Although I don't have a march pump yet, I do use a wort wizard, so no slow gravity drains for me. I'm completely limited by cooling capacity, and here I do think CFCs/plate chillers have an edge.

It seems like I've been talking a lot about how I don't have a march pump yet. I think this needs to change SOON!
So I should anticipate you as a competitive bidder on Ebay's next March 809 offering? I'm looking for one now too... I doesn't make sense to get started on a single tier stand when the lack of said pump won't allow brewing. I still have to get all my couplings welded in and find a nice lot of ball valves and quick disconnects.
Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 06-30-2007, 11:02 PM   #24
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 566 Times on 334 Posts
Likes Given: 201

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea
I may be a bit daft, but how exactly do you use the immersion chiller to filter the wort out of the keggle?
No problem.

Simply remove your wort chiller when the wort is cool...rinse and then wrap a 5 gallon paint strainer around it and then resubmerge slowly into the wort. Inside the chiiler/strainer, there wil be perfectly clear wort in which you'll dip your racking cane and siphon.

chiller_filter_2.jpg
worxman02 Likes This 
Old 07-01-2007, 12:09 AM   #25
Lil' Sparky
Cowboys EAC

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M
So I should anticipate you as a competitive bidder on Ebay's next March 809 offering? I'm looking for one now too... I doesn't make sense to get started on a single tier stand when the lack of said pump won't allow brewing. I still have to get all my couplings welded in and find a nice lot of ball valves and quick disconnects.
Could be...

Actually, I've seen some w/ a Buy It Now price of ~ $90. Not sure if they're always available or not, but that doesn't seem like a bad price. Plus, you don't have to worry about someone else out-bidding you.

Old 07-01-2007, 12:13 AM   #26
Lil' Sparky
Cowboys EAC

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BierMuncher
No problem.

Simply remove your wort chiller when the wort is cool...rinse and then wrap a 5 gallon paint strainer around it and then resubmerge slowly into the wort. Inside the chiiler/strainer, there wil be perfectly clear wort in which you'll dip your racking cane and siphon.

Attachment 1994
BierMuncher - that's a great tip for guys using an immersion chiller! I've seen you post it several times but never given you props.

Old 07-01-2007, 12:15 AM   #27
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 566 Times on 334 Posts
Likes Given: 201

Quote:
BierMuncher - that's a great tip for guys using an immersion chiller! I've seen you post it several times but never given you props.
Thanks LS. I've been getting pretty good mileage out of that one pic. It's the one thing about my AG routine than never changes.

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Old 07-01-2007, 12:31 AM   #28
sudsmonkey

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Gotta say that this has been one of the most educational threads I've read in a while. Thanks guys! Especially the filtering tip. That's pretty slick.

More like a sock monkey, really...

Old 07-01-2007, 03:13 AM   #29
Jester369

Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Could be...

Actually, I've seen some w/ a Buy It Now price of ~ $90. Not sure if they're always available or not, but that doesn't seem like a bad price. Plus, you don't have to worry about someone else out-bidding you.
Yeah, I just got mine - $90 for the pump, and a flat $10 to ship. It arrived well packed and still in the factory sealed box (tate1560 was the seller)

Old 07-01-2007, 03:58 AM   #30
drayman86
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
You also didn't say how you purge the rinse water out - or do you? This is the other part of getting the CFC ready that annoys me.
No need to purge. Just attach the CFC to the boil kettle and run the rinse water out with the first bit of wort. Once the discharge runs pure wort, start filling the fermenter.

Quick Reply