The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > best way to add fruit to secondary

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2013, 04:32 PM   #1
Geosomin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default best way to add fruit to secondary

I've only made one fruit beer in the past which turned out well where I added the fruit to the hot wort. I've read the fruit flavour is more pronounced if you add it to the secondary, so I was thinking of thawing my frozen berries and adding it to my beer which has been fermenting with an ale yeast (and not a lot of krausen) for 5 days. I can't decide if I should boil or heat the fruit to near boil and then just strain the juice into the beer or add the fruit in a mesh bag to the beer after thawing in the pail it's in (I don't have another brew pail and don't want to fish berries out of my carbuoy).
I'm thinking the strained/pasteurized fruit should be OK...I expect a second fermentation (last batch I did the lid blew off the pail!) and have pectinase to cut back the hazing. Just wondering if you all had any advice - I dont' want to contaminate my beer...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2013, 03:25 AM   #2
Atvar
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Two years ago I made a black raspberry wheat. Not sure about the details anymore, but I believe I just threw them in a carboy secondary no bag, no pasteurization. Notes simply say "took forever to thaw and add to carboy." At 1 lb/gal in a 6lb 2-row and 3lb wheat batch, it ended up with lots of flavor but bone dry.

I just tried to remake this with the addition of 1lb crystal 60L and ~0.7 lb/gal black raspberries. This time I set the frozen bag out for ~4h, then placed them in a nylon bag and racked the beer onto them in another bucket. The berries thawed a bit but still pretty frozen. I'm hoping the 5.5 gal beer at 70F was enough to keep the yeast warm, and I pulled some extra yeast trub to help as well. I'll check it and hopefully bottle in the next day or two.

Old 08-21-2013, 03:27 AM   #3
Bluelinebrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

When I make my strawberry blonde, I just add the frozen strawberries, still frozen, to the secondary and rack on top of them. Never had an issue with an infection.

http://www.bluelinebrewer.com

Like my page on Facebook!

Old 08-21-2013, 05:51 AM   #4
adiochiro3
Recipes 

Liked 124 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 78

I pasteurized my peach puree and dropped it right into my primary ferementer after the first 3 days of fermentation. Continued to 2 weeks in primary and bottled. Turned out great. Just make sure to tie a hops bag to the out-flow end of your siphon hose to strain out the chunks as you move it into your bottling bucket or keg.

James

Old 08-22-2013, 12:17 PM   #5
Geosomin
Recipes 

Well, last night I racked the beer 5 days brewed onto 6 lb half thawed strawberries in a brew pail after mashing the fruit a bit with a potato masher. With the fruit in the pail it was a perfect fit with me leaving the last inch of sludge behind. Put in a blow off tube just in case and will leave that for a week or so. Should I bother with pectinase now or wait a few days?? I am wondering if I will need it since I didn't heat the fruit, but more importantly should I rack it again to a carbuoy in a week or so or just leave it be and pop an airlock on?

Old 08-22-2013, 03:42 PM   #6
Bluelinebrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geosomin View Post
Well, last night I racked the beer 5 days brewed onto 6 lb half thawed strawberries in a brew pail after mashing the fruit a bit with a potato masher. With the fruit in the pail it was a perfect fit with me leaving the last inch of sludge behind. Put in a blow off tube just in case and will leave that for a week or so. Should I bother with pectinase now or wait a few days?? I am wondering if I will need it since I didn't heat the fruit, but more importantly should I rack it again to a carbuoy in a week or so or just leave it be and pop an airlock on?
I've made many a batch of strawberry beer, using frozen berries, and never used pectinase (not even sure what that is) and my beer always comes out crystal clear. The only fining I use is gelatin. I'd say you're good to go!

http://www.bluelinebrewer.com

Like my page on Facebook!

Old 08-22-2013, 07:52 PM   #7
Geosomin
Recipes 

From what I understand pectinase helps dissolve the pectin produced by heating some fruits and helps clarify wines and beer. I've used it in malomels and wines and gotten nice clear product. I think I'll just leave the beer and fruit it be in the pail and pop on an airlock once it's done with any new krausen. Then I can rack it over to a carbuoy in a few weeks to let it clear and settle out a bit and get rid of the worst of the fruit before bottling in a few more weeks. Thanks everyone

Old 08-22-2013, 07:55 PM   #8
Dolomieu
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 98

pectinase sounds like an enzyme

Draft beer, Not me!!! - Belching Penguin

Old 08-22-2013, 07:59 PM   #9
butterpants
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 91 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolomieu View Post
pectinase sounds like an enzyme
anything ending in - ase is 99% of the time an enzyme. and the root of the word, pectin is its substrate

Old 08-28-2013, 10:57 PM   #10
Geosomin
Recipes 

Just curious -after a few weeks with the fruit should I rack it again from the pail off into a carbuoy to clear or just bottle it? It hasn't foamed up as much as last time at all...I would think it would benefit from a bit of aging, but what do I know?

Quick Reply