The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Belgian Blonde Ale advise please

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2013, 07:41 PM   #1
Hopstar
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Belgian Blonde Ale advise please

hi,
I am a beginning brewer and would like some advise on a Belgian Blond Ale I am currently fermenting. The recipe is from Jamil's Brewing Classic styles using White Labs Trappist (WLP 500), OG is 1.075. Pitched yeast at 64F and ramped up to current 68F fermentation temp.
The beer has been in the primary for one week. Checked gravity today which is at 1.013. Tasted of very fruity, banana bublegum - not so nice.
My question is what my next steps should be.....
How long should I continue to ferment?
Should I move to a secondary?
Should I ramp up my fermentation temp from current 68?
Will be banana fruit punch dissipate and what can i do to lessen this taste?

Any advise is much appreciated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2013, 07:51 PM   #2
USAFSooner
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I would go ahead and rack to secondary and let it sit for 2-4 weeks. Then bottle. Let it age in the bottle for awhile to allow the flavors to mellow. Belgians benefit from age.

Old 08-18-2013, 08:21 PM   #3
rustym
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 56

I just did the same recipe. I let it sit in the primary almost a month. The highest I raised the temperature was to 70. I cold crashed for two weeks (after primary) and it never cleared. I went ahead and kegged and let it sit on the gas for three weeks and it still didn't clear. The WLP500, I guess, does not flocculate out well. I finally added gelatin in the keg and now it looks just like a Leffe Blonde. I never had the bubble gum taste, though. Mine finished kind of spicy and clovish? maybe? Give it some time. Hopefully yours will drop clearer than mine did.

Old 08-19-2013, 02:28 AM   #4
Cyclman
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 334 Times on 296 Posts
Likes Given: 114

Belgians sometimes take lots of time, especially high gravity ones. Let it age in secondary.

Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime! Bill Owen quote

Join the Beacon Point (Aurora, CO) Brewclub on Facebook- casual, fun brewing, drinking, socializing, visiting the great breweries / brewpubs in CO!

Old 08-19-2013, 04:59 PM   #5
tagz
Recipes 

Liked 107 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 14

The chimay yeast (500/1214) throws lots of banana. If you can cold crash, that will help knock a lot of the yeast out of suspension and mellow the flavor a bit. Conditioning time will also help since it is a bigger beer.

Quick Reply