Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Beer Temperature for Bottle Priming

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2013, 03:22 PM   #1
EyePeeA
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Beer Temperature for Bottle Priming

I've brewed plenty batches so far, but there is still one small question I have about bottle priming. I want to be absolutely sure I have been doing this right.

When priming calculators ask your for the temperature of the beer in order for the bottles to carb well, do they mean:

1- The actual temperature of the beer at the time of bottling.
Say it's 68F.
2- The actual temperature of the beer during 2-3 weeks of carbing.
Say it's 73F.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2013, 05:55 PM   #2
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 707 Times on 594 Posts
Likes Given: 221

They are looking for the temperature of the beer at the time you are ready to prime because the temperature will determine how much CO2 remains dissolved in the beer and that has to be accounted for in the final amount of CO2 you desire. If you don't account for that you will get overcarbed beer. Ask how I know that. Have you ever opened a bottle and before you can start pouring the foam starts coming out of the bottle and by the time it quits you have half your beer on the counter top?

Old 02-19-2013, 05:56 PM   #3
flars
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 366 Times on 335 Posts
Likes Given: 67

I go with the actual temperature at the time of bottling. This temperature will be very close to describing how much carbon dioxide is actually still in solution. The calculator will give you an estimate of how much priming sugar to add, for the yeast to eat and produce more carbon dioxide and develop pressure inside the bottle, to force a certain amount of extra carbon dioxide into solution. Very simplified version of how Henry's Law works.

Old 02-20-2013, 08:32 PM   #4
bigdongsr94
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

It is the temp before bottling. but while the temp at bottle time is normally right, this confused me when I started cold crashing. If I cold crash then transfer to a bottling bucket and the beer is still 50f, I calculate for 68-70 which is my normal temp after fermenting/before bottling.

Old 02-20-2013, 09:56 PM   #5
hebbs
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Actually it is supposed to be your peak temp after primary fermentation ends. There is a temperature dependent amount of co2 that beer can hold on to- after primary fermentation you aren't making any more co2, and your beer has had the most come out of solution at that highest temp.

Old 02-21-2013, 02:16 PM   #6
MikeInMKE
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hebbs View Post
actually it is supposed to be your peak temp after primary fermentation ends.
+1

Primary 1: Maibock
Primary 2: Marzen (Oktoberfest)
Primary 3: Empty
Bottled/Kegged: Grateful Dead Guy, Bourbon Barrel Porter, Oktoberfest, Maibock, Barnyard Brown Ale, EdWort's Robust Porter, BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde, Mosaic APA, Moose Drool clone plus, Raging Red Irish Ale, Galaxy APA, Dead Guy clone

Quick Reply