Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Beer in primary 5 weeks- yes or no

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2008, 11:20 PM   #1
Pete08
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Beer in primary 5 weeks- yes or no

I brewed a spiced ale for Christmas, but seemed to have gone overboard on the ginger. I had posted earlier about it being fusel, but since then have suspected the ginger for the taste. It has mellowed dramatically since 8-13. Anyhow, I brewed another very similiar without the ginger so I could blend them before aging. Since they are two weeks apart, would it be okay to leave the gingery one on the yeast 5 weeks, the newer brew would of course be at 3 weeks in the primary.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2008, 12:25 AM   #2
AllHoppedUp
Recipes 

Depends on who you ask. I'm sure there are a number of brewers on this forum who would tell you not to worry about it. But if it was my beer I'd rack it. I'd rather have it sitting in secondary for an extra three weeks than sitting on the trub/yeast for three weeks.

Old 09-05-2008, 12:32 AM   #3
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 127

Hehe. Good thing he posted first.

I say leave it. I've left for 7 weeks before, and it tasted great.

I'd like you to meet my friends, the Bogeymen...

Chriso || SMaSH Brewers, Unite! || Nebraska Brewers! || Lincoln Lagers Brew Club
"You have just experienced the paradigm shift that is....all grain brewing." - BierMuncher

Old 09-05-2008, 12:39 AM   #4
Nurmey
I love making Beer

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 6

What chriso said. I recently started drinking a brew that was left in primary for 3 months. It's great! I don't recommend doing it for 3 months but it sure didn't hurt any of the beers I've left in primary for longer than the "magical" 4 weeks.

Old 09-05-2008, 01:07 AM   #5
ohiobrewtus

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Another vote for leaving it. I rarely leave my beer in promary for longer than about 3 weeks because I usually need to free up a fermenter for another batch, but you could leave it there for a few months with little to no risk of autolysis.

Old 09-05-2008, 01:22 AM   #6
Turkeyfoot Jr.
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

All of my beers stay in the primary for at least 2 weeks and up to 4 or 5. It usually all depends on when I have time to get around to racking them.

Primary: EMPTY!
Bottled:
Kegged: Turkeyfoot English Mild

Old 09-05-2008, 12:25 PM   #7
Chad

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete08 View Post
I brewed a spiced ale for Christmas, but seemed to have gone overboard on the ginger. I had posted earlier about it being fusel, but since then have suspected the ginger for the taste. It has mellowed dramatically since 8-13. Anyhow, I brewed another very similiar without the ginger so I could blend them before aging. Since they are two weeks apart, would it be okay to leave the gingery one on the yeast 5 weeks, the newer brew would of course be at 3 weeks in the primary.
No one has asked the obvious question: is there ginger in the primary? If you have fresh, rather than dried, ground, ginger in the primary, I'd rack the beer away to get it off the ginger. If the ginger came from your spice rack in powdered or candied form, leave the beer in the primary and let it mellow.

I did a ginger cream ale last year, using sliced, boiled ginger. It was pretty hot and harsh to begin with but calmed considerably with a little aging. In the end it turned out to be one of my better beers.

Either way, five weeks in the primary will be absolutely fine.

Chad
www.chadwrites.com

Old 09-05-2008, 01:03 PM   #8
Pete08
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I used fresh, ground ginger in the boil. I didn't add any post boil.

Old 09-05-2008, 02:58 PM   #9
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

I leave mine in primary for a month....

Having brewed with ginger (I do a ginger orange dortmunder style ale) that using a lot of ginger in the boil (about 1.5 ounces grated in each of 2 additions) I will tell you that ginger takes a LONG time to mellow out....I'm talking a few months in the bottle.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 09-05-2008, 03:24 PM   #10
Piotr
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Just recently I heard in Basic Brewing Radio interview with White [Labs]. He said that if yeast are healtly, there is no danger leaving if for 4 weeks. But if they are in poor condition - yet after 2 weeks something nasty might happen.

Quick Reply