Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Beer with........ pipe tobacco?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2009, 06:29 PM   #31
mattmcl
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
uncommon or unique or bad idea
Sounds like a forum of it's own...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2009, 06:38 PM   #32
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Holy thread bumping batman!

There was a thread by bigkahuna on this topic a few months back, IIRC someone came on and posted how dangerous it was to leech the high levels of nicotine out of them and into liquid...

I can't recall the particulars but the general gist of the thread IIRC is that it is not a good idea to do...maybe even extremely deadly.

If you are going to do it I would do all manner of research into nicotine poisoning and leaching from tobbacco.

You do not want to mess with tobacco in liquid, people have leached it out and used it to poison people....

Quote:
Historically, most cases of nicotine poisoning have been the result of its use as an insecticide; however, such use is less frequent now than previously. Every year many children go to the emergency room after eating cigarettes or cigarette butts. Sixty milligrams of nicotine has the potential to kill an adult,[1] which is the amount of nicotine in about five cigarettes or half a cigar, if all of the nicotine were absorbed.
Nicotine poisoning - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I don't know about smoking malt with it either...let's see, formaldehyde and about 50 other deadly compounds come out in the smoke and would then cling to the grains...

You know when a reviewer mentions "tobacco notes" in a beer or wine it's not literal tobacco he is referring to. It's a product of yeast and dark malts and even aging, not actually tobacco products.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-07-2009, 01:22 PM   #33
darkestdays
Recipes 

As much enthusiasm as I have for trying new things, I would probably not do this. It seems like any tobacco in a drink would give me heartburn. I do chew (dip, whatever you want to call it) occasionally, but it's when I'm at work (Where I'm not allowed to smoke). I'm not a hardcore smoker, but when I drink I do smoke more. I think that the two should be left separate. People like to light up when they drink. I don't think that this beer would stop anyone from smoking, or fulfill a nicotine craving.

If anything, if you really want to try this, I would do it as a very small batch. Do it and see what you think. The next batch you have, just separate a gallon of it and try adding a little tobacco. If it turns out bad you didn't ruin the whole batch. When I say little though, I mean it. Just try adding like a quarter oz (or less).

I would highly advise against giving this beer to guests or drinking more than one in a session.

Last edited by darkestdays; 02-07-2009 at 01:29 PM.

Old 02-07-2009, 03:28 PM   #34
cmdrico7812
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

What about making a smoked porter and when you smoke the malt yourself, throw a few cigars or tobacco leaves in with the wood. You'll get a nice smokey taste in the porter and it might pick up some of the smokiness of the tobacco in the malt without having to put whole tobacco leaves into your beer.

Beer...it's awesome.

Zwei Brüder Brauerei

Planning: Nutcastle Brown, Founder's Breakfast Stout
Primary: Apfelwein w/Cherry
Secondary: Flanders Red, ESB2, ESB3, Hobgoblin PM
Bottle: Black Beauty Honey Rye, Holiday Chestnut Ale, Grumpy Gnome IPA, Sumatran Espresso Stout, Apfelwein, All Jacked Up, Patriot's Amber, ESB1, Belgian Dubbel.

Old 02-07-2009, 08:58 PM   #35
ghack
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

How about just drinking a nice beer while you smoke your pipe?

Old 02-08-2009, 03:04 AM   #36
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrico7812 View Post
What about making a smoked porter and when you smoke the malt yourself, throw a few cigars or tobacco leaves in with the wood. You'll get a nice smokey taste in the porter and it might pick up some of the smokiness of the tobacco in the malt without having to put whole tobacco leaves into your beer.
I think I covered it here....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy
I don't know about smoking malt with it either...let's see, formaldehyde and about 50 other deadly compounds come out in the smoke and would then cling to the grains...
The stuff that comes out in the smoke which will attach itself to the grain will be more often than not, be just as nasty as the nicotine...How do you think the hickory taste gets from the smoke to the meat when you smoke a brisket for example? It's chemical molecules that cling to and penetrate the meat...the same thing will happen to the grain....the compounds given off in the burning tobacco will attach to the grain...then they will leach into the wort...

Heres what the Center for Disease control says about nicotine poisoning...

Quote:
Clinical description

After oral ingestion of nicotine, signs and symptoms of nicotine poisoning mimic those for nerve agent or organophosphate poisoning and typically include excess oral secretions, bronchorrhea, diaphoresis, vomiting (common, especially among children), diarrhea, abdominal cramping, confusion, and convulsions. Although tachycardia and hypertension are common, bradycardia and hypotension might also occur as a result of a severe poisoning (1, 2).
This is NOT something you wanna mess with folks...all specultion aside...This is potentially LETHAL!!!!!

Quote:
A cigar, depending on its size and type, can contain anywhere from 10 to 444 mg of nicotine. Cigar smoke produces 30 times more carbon monoxide than cigarette smoke. During this time, high concentrations of tobacco-specific nitrosamines (TSNAs) are produced. TSNAs are some of the most carcinogenic compounds known to man. Secondly, cigar wrappers are not as porous as cigarette wrappers, making the combustion of a cigar less complete. These two factors result in higher concentrations some of the toxic chemicals in cigars than in cigarettes.
Again, this is NOT how those flavors appear in wines and beers where you appear to taste it....What you taste REMINDS YOU of the flavors...but they are NOT THE ACTUAL MATERIALS!!! It's a METAPHOR....

If you guys aren't grasping this idea...listen to this basic brewing podcast....

Quote:
May 1, 2008 - Beer Eye for the Wine Guy
Gary Vaynerchuk of Wine Library TV brings the thunder to BBR and gives us his perspectives on the art of tasting as he samples homebrew.

Click to Listen
He talsk about how we taste, and how it triggers memories of things...

I love a good cigar...I smoked one today while brewing...I haven't smoked a pipe in over a decade....Like ghack said, smoke em if you got em...but don't CONCENTRATE the chemicals in you beer!

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Last edited by Revvy; 02-08-2009 at 03:08 AM.

Old 02-08-2009, 04:44 AM   #37
Mr. Nice Guy
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Well you guys are giving me all kinds of umm... "alternative" smoked beer recipe ideas.

10/13 on the way - Strong Ale!

Old 02-09-2009, 10:06 PM   #38
Beerbeque
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

I smoke a pipe. English blends. I've considered tossing some latakia into a porter or stout. It sounds better to me than 99% of the stuff that other brewers add to their beer.

Give us this day our liquid bread

Old 02-09-2009, 10:16 PM   #39
bernerbrau
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I say do it. I likes me a good cigar every once in a while, and "tobacco" is considered a positive flavor in scotch. Better make it a strong beer though.

Old 02-09-2009, 10:42 PM   #40
KayaBrew
Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 93

As a test, you could spit Skoal into a half a can of Bud and drink that down.

Quick Reply