Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Beer not carbonated enough!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2007, 03:28 AM   #1
Darth Brewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Beer not carbonated enough!

Hello everyone,

So here is my situation/question for your expertise:

I just kegged a batch of beer (a dubbel), and after about two and a half weeks it just hasn't carbonated as much as I would like. (I'm carbing naturally, obviously); I brewed the beer up for a fishing trip in about a week and a half, now my question is: can I depressurize my keg, throw some more priming sugar in and expect it to carb up alright, or will that kill the beer?

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2007, 02:41 PM   #2
TexLaw
Here's Lookin' Atcha!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts

You have it kegged, so just crank up a little CO2 and adjust it accordingly. That's one of the great parts about kegging. If you are just dying to have it completely cask conditined, then you can try and do it the way you suggested. However, with only a week and a half to go, you may not have enough time to get it done like you want it.

You will not kill the beer.

TL

Old 09-26-2007, 03:21 PM   #3
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1042 Times on 696 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I have this feeling like he's going to be dispensing with a CO2 charger and doesn't have a large tank/reg. If I'm right, it would be hard to increase carbonation with those 12 gram carts (or I should say wasteful) but it can be done in a pinch.

Old 09-26-2007, 11:08 PM   #4
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 9

well, he might be using a CO2 charger on the trip, but surely he's got a larger cylinder for at-home dispensing.

but assuming he doesn't and that's why he's priming and not force carbing in teh first place...yes, you can vent the keg, add more boiled & cooled sugar water, and put the lid back on.

if its only a little under carb'd you could shoot a full 12g CO2 bulb in there and let it soak that up and hope for the best.

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Quick Reply