Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Beer myth experiment

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2010, 08:23 PM   #31
RichBenn
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiltont View Post
I always wondered how the same wort/beer would taste if half were fermented as an Ale at an Ale temp (65F) and half was fermented as a Lager at Lager temp (50F). There has to be a difference, I just wonder how different...
I have a friend that makes ESBs with a lager yeast at lager temps. Surprised me, I thought it was an ale. (Actually, I thought it was a low-hopped IPA)

That experiment depends upon the yeast, whether it colors the taste at all, or has some esters. It could work, but it'd have to be real specific as to what you are trying to determine, as many people already have a pretty good knowlege of different yeasts and how they vary based on ferment temperatures. Like maybe both neutral yeasts, so you'd have the best chance at isolating the effect of lagering.

Here are a couple more ideas in conjunction with blind taste tests --

1. Hot side aeration. Rack half into a bucket, letting it drop through the air, then chill, vs. the other immersion cooled and then racked cool. Or you could whirlpool one hot, one cold?

2. No chill vs.: chilling, whirlpooling and carefull siphoning.

3. Pellet vs. whole leaf dry hopping.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply