Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Beer myth experiment

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2009, 02:39 PM   #11
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 905 Times on 602 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Yup, and the results were inconclusive on that one.

I've done some oxygen/aeration experiments before but I limited myself to dry yeasts which I later concluded was stupid. Dry yeast is apparently freeze dried in a state of readiness, which I THINK means adequate glycogen stores for the upcoming ferment. Whatever you do, try to isolate the samples to a single variable.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2009, 02:51 PM   #12
iamfoamy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I recently listened to the August 7 2008 podcast on basic brewing radio, and they had a guy who tested three aeration methods (shaking, pumping air, pumping air with aeration stone). Shaking the carboy for 5 minutes was the most effective. The website also has a paper that he prepared.

Old 12-29-2009, 05:32 PM   #13
aubrey
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastarine View Post
You can do this yeast pitching rate experiment if you want to, or you can pick up the latest BYO, where several brewers did several test batches ranging from 1/4 the recommended rate to 4x the recommended rate and compiled their results.
From my memory, that only tested how fast the fermentation kicked off and how long it took to reach FG. The posted idea was to see if there was a taste difference in the end product.
Secondary: Bavarian Hefewizen (extract)
Bottle: Blue Moon clone, Sam Adams Boston Ale Clone, Christmas Chocolate Stout (All Grain)
Keg: AHS West Coast Pale Ale, BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde (All Grain)

Old 12-29-2009, 06:33 PM   #14
smizak
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamfoamy View Post
I recently listened to the August 7 2008 podcast on basic brewing radio, and they had a guy who tested three aeration methods (shaking, pumping air, pumping air with aeration stone). Shaking the carboy for 5 minutes was the most effective. The website also has a paper that he prepared.
There were a lot of inconsistencies with that experiment. I aerate with a scintered stone, and when I watch it the column of bubbles creates some pretty good stirring and currents that fly around in the carboy. I'll see pieces of break material/hops circling up and around in the wort. I just find it really hard to believe that I'm not getting pretty good aeration with that kind of air being pumped around and with that kind of circulation.

On Deck: IPA
Primary 1: Air :-(
Primary 2: Air :-(
Primary 3: Air :-(
Primary 4: Air :-(

Bottled: Oatmeal Stout

Old 12-31-2009, 07:56 PM   #15
nukebrewer
Brew the brew!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 10 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2521 Times on 1478 Posts
Likes Given: 5683

All right, I think I am going to do the pitch rate experiment. I'll divide the batch up into 3 fermenters and pitch as follows:

1st fermenter - Quarter vial
2nd fermenter - Half vial
3rd fermenter - Starter built up a few times from the remaining yeast

I'll post my results in a new thread when I finish the experiment. Thanks for all the suggestions.

-AJ

The only thing more asinine than stupid rules is the enforcement of rules simply because they are the rules.

Inhopsicated: A Beer Blog

Inhopsicated on Twitter

Old 01-02-2010, 05:01 PM   #16
motobrewer
I'm no atheist scientist, but...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 207 Times on 182 Posts
Likes Given: 366

just my opinion, but i think quarter vial and half vial are a bit close.

i'd maybe do half - full? mrmalty recommends 1.8 vials for a 1.048 wort. So, to me, this is what you're doing:

1. (.25/1.8) = 14% recommended rate
2. (0.5/1.8) = 28% recommended rate
3. 100% recommended rate

doing half - full would be 28% / 55% / 100%, which i think is a nicer spread.

again, my opinion

Old 01-05-2010, 05:17 PM   #17
Mongo64
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

What about the notion that adding a drop or two of olive oil can be a substitution for aeration? That one always sounded fishy to me.

Old 01-05-2010, 05:27 PM   #18
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1940 Times on 1403 Posts
Likes Given: 1061

As far as aeration, there is only so much O2 that can dissolve into your wort. Once you reach that number it's done. I've seen a couple of experiments that show that shaking is at least as effective as using an O2 stone, but there is always something cited to disprove the experiment. It would be nice to have a few people try using the same amount of the same yeast in the the same wort and see what happens.

Old 01-05-2010, 05:41 PM   #19
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
As far as aeration, there is only so much O2 that can dissolve into your wort. Once you reach that number it's done. I've seen a couple of experiments that show that shaking is at least as effective as using an O2 stone, but there is always something cited to disprove the experiment. It would be nice to have a few people try using the same amount of the same yeast in the the same wort and see what happens.
I think it's important to make the distinction between using a stone with air or using a stone with pure O2. Using a stone with O2 is way more effective than either shaking or using a stone with air. It's been shown to my satisfaction that shaking the carboy is just as effective as using a stone with just air. Hell, I can't even get the wort into my carboy without aerating the hell out of it.

Just think for a moment if you had gone to the trouble of sanitizing a stone and blowing air through it into your wort...for years. All the while telling others that the reason you go to all that trouble is to get more O2 in your wort. Now somebody comes along and says that shaking a carboy for a few minutes works just as well. I'd be pissed/embarrassed too.
Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Old 01-05-2010, 05:45 PM   #20
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2754 Times on 2705 Posts
Likes Given: 112

Ferment half in one of those grocery store water bottles and the other half in bucket or better bottle. See if they really are problematic with oxygen permeability.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Quick Reply