Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Beer Clarity - Adding fresh yeast before bottling

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2013, 08:35 PM   #1
agslax
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Beer Clarity - Adding fresh yeast before bottling

I am in a dilemma. I have been lagering a very light beer for a couple months now and am ready to bottle (I must bottle this beer). I used a clarifier, so most of the yeast will not be transferred to my bottling bucket and I do not think there is enough to carbonate the beer in a decent amount of time. I have been told that adding fresh yeast will not effect the flavor of the beer as that has already been established during fermentation. However, it seems like adding yeast now will undo my efforts to clarify the beer.

Will pitching a vial of yeast to 5 gallons effect an individual bottle's clarity?

If so, is there an option other than force carbing and using a beer gun?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2013, 09:26 PM   #2
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 453 Times on 422 Posts
Likes Given: 202

There is no concern adding yeast at bottling, the yeast will simply drop to the bottom of the bottle when done carbonating and once chilled the cake will be firm at the bottom, simply pour like you would any other bottle conditioned beer. The yeast will not alter the flavor either. I bottle condition many beers and they still turn out commercial quality clear

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 10-24-2013, 10:44 PM   #3
boydster
Don't act like you're not impressed.
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 635 Times on 436 Posts
Likes Given: 495

Quote:
Originally Posted by duboman View Post
There is no concern adding yeast at bottling, the yeast will simply drop to the bottom of the bottle when done carbonating and once chilled the cake will be firm at the bottom, simply pour like you would any other bottle conditioned beer. The yeast will not alter the flavor either. I bottle condition many beers and they still turn out commercial quality clear
+1, you will be just fine

Check out these cool kits at Know How Brews & Foods!

Big Jim Walker IIPA
Allagash-ishhh White Ale
Happy Hoppy Blonde Ale

Old 10-28-2013, 08:10 PM   #4
agslax
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Thanks guys.

Old 10-28-2013, 11:36 PM   #5
VladOfTrub
Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 123

Lager is usually krausened. There is a little more to it than dumping a vile of yeast in the beer. There are formulas to figure out how many yeast cells or how much krausen is needed. A proper volume of active krausen will carb quicker than dumping in yeast. Use the vile to make a starter. Basic rule is to have enough starter to raise the gravity of the beer by 3 points. Pitch the starter at high krausen. No matter what method you choose, it will take time to clear the beer. If you're into Lagers, get a sugar reduction kit and bottle at 2-4 percent glucose. Rousing the yeast by moving the fermenter will kick up enough yeast to carb, without adding speise or krausen when at 2-4 percent glucose.

Old 10-31-2013, 02:05 PM   #6
DSmith
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Pitch 1 gram/5 gallons of beer of rehydrated Lalvin EC-1118 at bottling, <$1. I've done it a lot, spot-checked some bottled gravities over a long time with a refractometer and have never seen any further attenuation.

That pitching rate gives about 1x10^6 cells/mL and a very fine yeast cake.

Quick Reply