Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Batch Spargers Need to Confer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2007, 04:48 PM   #11
Got Trub?
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Boil off rate can make a big difference. In my system a slow boil results in 0.8g/hr evaporation, a strong rolling boil 1.1g/hr.

My other thought is have you calibrated all your equipement so you know exactly how much water you are using and collecting?

GT

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2007, 04:57 PM   #12
eriktlupus

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

boil off rate can vary depending on weather as well (temperature and humidity)

primary1 :UTOPIA BABY(still searching for it)
secondary:middling bastard ipa
kegged:simcoe blonde, crystal pale ale, yellow jacket golden ale, lemon shandy blonde
DRINKIN DAWG BREWERY
LET'S GO RED WINGS

join michigan mashers here

extraction calculator
grains in pounds(G) X 36(average points per gallon of grains) / batch size in gallons(g) = maximum efficiency(ME)
OG / ME = brewhouse efficiency

Old 12-04-2007, 05:31 PM   #13
DeadYetiBrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well, i was hoping to get to this today, i'm going to find out once and for all what the problem is.

I'll post back with the results....

Old 12-04-2007, 06:58 PM   #14
SenorWanderer
Beer Maniac
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Trub?
Boil off rate can make a big difference. In my system a slow boil results in 0.8g/hr evaporation, a strong rolling boil 1.1g/hr.

My other thought is have you calibrated all your equipement so you know exactly how much water you are using and collecting?

GT
YES!! thank you! the single most useful thing i've done to fine tune my system so that i always hit my volumes: boil some water. i filled my kettle to x gallons and boiled it for an hour. let it cool over night (while covered so you dont lose evaporation) and measured it. take your volume measurements at room temperature because that's the volume that matters going into your fermenter and that way you don't have to mess with cooling loss. because of this i know that i need 4.75 gallons pre-boil to get 3.2 gallons after 90 minutes. 3 goes into my carboy and .2 swims with the fishes (and hops and break). the other thing, like got turb? said, is be consistent with how strong your boil is. i start my flame after i've added my first runnings, and my last amount of sparge water usually just quenches the boil. i set my flame so that the boil is JUST rolling. any stronger and you're scorching sugar and wasting propane. if you're super concerned about getting a good hot break then put the flame on turbo until you break, then bring it down, but do it the same every time so your notes and boil off measurements are useful.

i realize that this question was about batch sparging, so i digress!

Quick Reply