Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Baseboard radiator wort chiller?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2013, 01:57 AM   #1
innocentbp
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Baseboard radiator wort chiller?

Has anyone soldered up a "U" shaped section of the pipe with the fins from a hot water baseboard radiator as a wort chiller? I just made a small copper chiller when I flung a 6 foot length of unused heater pipe. I know the fins are great heat transfers and with some creative assembly and some hose I think it would be a great chiller. Please let m know if you've failed or succeeded in this method. Or just some criticism. Thanks. Dannyj

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2013, 03:07 AM   #2
tyzippers
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 404 Times on 300 Posts
Likes Given: 147

I've never thought of doing this. It may be a possibility that this may work. My reasoning is because in my business, (vacuum heat treat furnace production) we use finned copper tube heat exchangers to cool the inert gas used during the quench phase of the heat treat cycle. On our most recent furnace, we are using 6 circuits of 2" finned copper tube to quickly quench from 1870F.

I'm pretty sure that replacing the inert gas with a different substance in a different phase (wort) would work as well.

However, I may be wrong, but aren't baseboard heaters aluminum? If they are brazed finned copper tube, my next question would be how you plan on fitting enough length into the wort for it to be efficient? I think you mentioned soldering a return bend onto two pieces? Do you think that would be enough?

Ok, ok enough with the questions! Do the experiment and report back! You might be onto something!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply