Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Barrel Aging a Doppelbock...when?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2013, 03:46 AM   #1
erikrocks
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Barrel Aging a Doppelbock...when?

All...

I've recently decided to concentrate my brewing primarily on German lagers and German ales. I currently have an export stout aging in a 10 gallon bourbon barrel and need to brew something to take its place when I empty it. I'm thinking about brewing a doppelbock, but I'm unsure when to barrel age it. I know the most ideal situation would probably br to lager it in the barrel at around 35 degrees, but I really don't think the barrel will fit in one of my chest freezers. Should I:

a.) barrel age it before I lager it
or
b.) lager it before I barrel age it?

My basement is usually between 60 and 65 degrees consistently. Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2013, 07:21 PM   #2
Brewrifle
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I would think barrel age it before the lager, since it would give the brew more time meld with the oak.

Kegged - Citra Pale Ale, Session Saison, Robust Porter (Nitro), Hoppy Red Ale, Caffrey's Irish Ale clone, Cascadian Dark ale, German Pilsner.
Aging - Bourbon barrel aged RIS,
Primary -
To Brew - TBD

Old 07-09-2013, 10:52 PM   #3
FarmerTed
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 183

You could try emailing Schmaltz Brewing/Coney Island about this; they make a Barrel-aged version of Human Blockhead. I'm pretty sure they posted the recipe; they may have the process details on their site, too, but I'm sure they'd tell you what they do.

Quick Reply