Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Barrel Aging American Wheat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2012, 02:06 PM   #1
BobbyB029
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Barrel Aging American Wheat

Purchased a used 5-gal whiskey barrel from a distiller in TX. Doing my best to recreate Bully Guppy from Three Floyd's. I added 3 lbs of peach purée to the barrel and racked the hopped up American wheat on top of it for a long secondary fermentation. Hopefully it comes out great!

H

image-2013172736.jpg  
Old 11-05-2012, 11:07 PM   #2
chrisfiac
Recipes 

Hi:

That sounds amazing. I'd love to hear how it turned out. I have a few questions: What distiller did you get the barrel from? What was in it before? What did you do to rehydrate the barrel?

I have a 10 gallon barrel from Garisson Brothers in central Texas, but I don't know how to get the barrel ready for beer.

--Cheers

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2012, 12:12 AM   #3
BobbyB029
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisfiac
Hi:

That sounds amazing. I'd love to hear how it turned out. I have a few questions: What distiller did you get the barrel from? What was in it before? What did you do to rehydrate the barrel?

I have a 10 gallon barrel from Garisson Brothers in central Texas, but I don't know how to get the barrel ready for beer.

--Cheers
I got the barrel from Balcones Distillery. All I know is "whiskey" was in the barrel. It was a deal I found through Homebrewfinds. From the dates on the barrel drawn in permanent marker, it looked to have been emptied within 2 weeks of it being in my possession. I then held onto it empty for another 2 weeks before I did research and found out it needed to be stored properly. What I did, proper or not, was poured a 5th of JD in it and shook it around every day for 2 weeks. Once primary was finished, I racked the beer on top of the peaches and left a small amount of headspace for the secondary fermentation. Dumped out the whiskey before I racked the beer of course.

Smelled amazing.
image-1631139459.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply